Monday, October 24, 2011

October 24, 2011

Yokwe family!
 
Wow what a week! It seems like forever since I last read your emails and responded. So much has happened this week, and so last Monday seems a month ago. It's been a week full of lots of changes, so hopefully I can fill you in. But just know that I am doing great and that I am happy.
 
Thursday was the big day. The day that seemed like it would never come finally came and went in a jiffy. We loaded up all of Elder Navratil and Elder Rodriguez stuff and drove up to Bentonville to the transfer point. In a matter of a few minutes Elder Navratil and I said goodbye and Elder Capitan was dropped off. No time for tears. No time for cheers. Just the way I like it :)
 
It was kind of awkward at first, because we didn't really know what to say, but we soon hit it off like old pals. Elder Capitan is so awesome! Just a little bit about him: Elder Christopher Capitan is from Aneth, Utah (near the Four Corners area) and has been out for 17 months. He's a veteran, but he isn't too trunky yet, so I'm not worried. He's full-blooded Navajo and he even speaks Navajo. How legit is that?!? His whole mission has been spent in back-woods small towns, so Springdale is his first city. He is a funny guy and so we're going to get along just fine. I'm sure there's more I could say about him, but overall he is a really cool guy who loves the work.
 
It's only been a few days, but our apartment has already bonded big-time. Elder Latrik also got a new companion named Elder Jones. President could not have made a better choice to replace Elder Rodriguez in the Marshallese branch. He's humble, full of love, and up to the hard task of fitting in with the Marshallese culture. What a man.
 
So yeah, I'm excited for this transfer. I'm officially not a greeny any more and the work can only progress from here. I'll miss Elder Navratil and Elder Rodriguez, but it was time for each of them to move on. I'm excited for both of them, but I'm also excited to not have to talk about them any more. Hooray!
 
Speaking of transfers... At the transfer point I met a couple missionaries who met April in the MTC. Elder Golder was in her district and had only the highest of praise for her. He seems like a really good guy, and I was so happy that he spent the time looking for me just so he could tell me about April. He also said that their whole district knew about me because apparently April said a lot about me. Oh boy... It was just really cool to meet someone who's seen my sister more recently than me. Man, I miss my family!
 
I'm so stoked for April to leave. Elder Golder said that she just can't wait to get out of the MTC, and he thinks that she'll do great in the field. He said that she was the most prepared missionary out of anyone there. Yep, that's my sis :) You'll have to tell me all about the conversation you have with her on the phone (if it happens). I'm sure she wants to talk to y'all so bad. I remember when I talked to you in the airport in Denver. I almost cried like a baby because it was so good to hear your voices. It's crazy how much a simple phone call meant to all of us. I can't wait until Christmas, then I can talk to you again. 2 months baby!
 
Frank is going to Armenia???!! HOLY CATS that is so fantastic!!! Tell him that I am so excited for him and that I'm so proud of him. Frank is going to touch many lives over there, I just know it.
 
That's so neat that Michael and Jennifer came up! I wish I could've been there to play with Sunny and the kids and have a good time. It sounds like you had a blast. Except for the dog poop part... Haha the back yard is a mine field :) You'll have to pet Sunny for me today, okay? Wow, they sure have a ginormous motor home! That must've taken up the whole driveway. Fun times, fun times.
 
That's cool that you're feeding the missionaries next week. Feed them well. I totally have a new understanding of what it's like to be fed by members. Missionaries need meals or else they starve. I also really like the breakfast idea. I've had breakfast a few times for dinner while I've been out and it's like the best thing ever! Man, that's making me hungry... Most the members out here include dessert, but it's not an essential part of the meal. Don't worry about it too much. I have to admit that I've gained a few pounds while I've been out, but my legs are sure getting strong. Imagine that - a pot belly and muscly biker legs haha. I'm going to start doing more sit-ups in the morning. Keep me accountable, okay?
 
AAAAHHH!! I just looked and I only have a couple minutes left! For some reason this short letter took forever to write. But don't worry, I'm planning on writing you all individual letters today just because I feel like I need to. Like I said, I'll try to do it every few weeks.
 
Thanks for all your prayers and support. It really means a lot to me :) I love you so much! I agree with you Mom - I do feel like I'm growing spiritually just a little bit each day.
 
Talk to y'all later!
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. Thanks for sending pictures! I love it. Here's a picture of my own. It is Elder Capitan and I just chillin'. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment