Tuesday, December 27, 2011

December 27, 2011

Dear family,
So what's new since two days ago?? Heh heh just kiddin' :)
Man, yesterday was probably one of the lamest days I've ever experienced. Nevermind that the days previous were some of the best that I've had. Yesterday was just quite boring. I usually try to make the most of my preparation days and stay busy, but neither Elder Jensen nor I felt like doing anything. I'm absolutely convinced that December 26th is the worst day of the year. It's not like I'm a kid back home, out of school, and have lots of toys to play with. There was such a build-up to our phone call, don't you think? It was so awesome to talk to you! But I do have to say that I'm glad that I've gotten through the first one. Hopefully future phone calls will be a lot more chill haha. I think that Sunday proved that I'm still a greenie :)
Well then. It's time to get back to normal life. Elm Creek's teaching pool is as low as ever, but we can only keep trying to find people. Last week we went through a list of like 30 potentials/formers and only one of them was interested. ONE OF THEM. And that one is moving to Cleveland (Oklahoma). A large part of the list lives in Catoosa (a small town in the bottom corner of our area), and so we had a Catoosa trip with our ward mission leader. We tried to contact about 10 people and guess what? Nuthin. The biggest success we had from our Catoosa day trip was a nice lady answering her door and kindly saying, "No. I attend the Kingdom Hall" when we asked her if she was interested. Usually Jehovah's Witnesses aren't the friendliest so I considered it a tender mercy. I'm so tired of people saying that they attend a certain church or that they're "Christian" like it means something. The lady might as well have said, "I attend the Kingdom Hall and so because of that very fact I can't listen to you...Even though I would love to." So many people are filled with junk about Mormons from their churches. It's ridiculous. Elder Jensen and I are trying to think of unique door approaches as to get past the initial inhibitions that are so often attributed to the white shirt and tie. Got any ideas? Anybody? We'll probably tract today after I send this...
Jim is probably still our closest (to baptism) investigator. But each week he seems to drift further away. We'll probably see him today or tomorrow with Bro. Kennedy (ward mission leader) and lay it all on the table. We've already met with him too many times with too little of commitment from him since I've gotten here. We've decided that we need to be bold with him. It's really sad when it comes to this point, but we can't just keep meeting with somebody that enjoys the company. I am planning on sharing Elder Uchtdorf's talk with him, Mom, so we'll see what happens with that. Hopefully you were inspired :) Elder Jensen and I are praying that we can just find and teach somebody. We want to teach someone soooo bad!! It seems like forever since I've actually taught a real missionary discussion. We've decided that during companion study we'll do some role playing once in a while to keep our skills up.
I'm glad to hear that Reggie is doing well. What a man! Extending his mission? Sweet! I've thought about that a few times, but I don't know if I could ever do that haha :) I'm still in the beginning of my mission so I don't need to worry about that yet anyways. Tell Frank that I'm super proud of him for going through the temple and getting his endowments. I miss going through the temple. I wish I could be there.
April and I had a wonderful conversation! We both talked at a million miles an hour and I still felt like I had so much to say. I flippin' hate that feeling. Either way it was so cool that we got to talk to each other though. I'm thankful that her mission president allowed her to talk to me.
Thanks again for all of the gifts that you sent me. It really was so perfect. I was as happy as I could be, but Christmas night we went to the Gaylords for dinner. When we arrived, we were surprised to see a TON of presents under the tree waiting for us. Apparently some members of the ward came together and bought Elder Jensen and I a bunch of stuff. I don't know all of the details, but it must've cost a lot of money. We had no idea it was coming. I couldn't believe how much stuff they had gotten us! Both Elder Jensen and I were so humbled. Man, I love Elm Creek :) I'll include a picture of all of our riches.
Well, I hope you had as great of a Christmas as I did. I will never forget it. Thanks for loving me and talking to me! Have a great week and be safe.
Love, Elder Atkin
P.S. Other pictures included: A sweet domino tower I built. Me talking to you on the phone with a gift in hand.
Elder Atkin talking to family and opening presents

Presents from ward members

No comments:

Post a Comment