Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January 17, 2012- A New Transfer

Dear family,
Man, I didn't realize that there was ANOTHER holiday this week. I told you last time that I wouldn't make it a habit of emailing you on Tuesdays. So much for that, thanks to Martin Luther King Jr.! Haha it's not that bad, it just seems like I keep on having to wait extra long to read your emails and stuff. No more of that!
Well it sounds like you had a lot of fun in Arizona! Thanks for sending pictures, the cousins all look so much older since the last time I saw them... And yes, Eliza looks adorable :) That's super funny that Grandpa is getting good at Angry Birds hahaha. I hear that the Kindle is quite the hot item lately. A member of our ward took us to Tulsa for a meeting yesterday and he showed us his new Kindle. He thinks it's really popular because it can do 80-90% of what the iPad can do for 1/3 the price. Man, I want one! I could have the whole gospel library in one little device. Well, maybe in two years.
Mom, I totally understand what you mean when you mentioned that you want to use your time better. It's always a constant battle for missionaries too. Before my mission I thought that missionaries were perfect and that it would be easy to set up appointments and such. Not always true. Plans constantly fall through, and it's hard to get appointments in the first place. Sometimes it's hard to know what to do all the time. You can't always just tract if you don't have things scheduled. Well, you can, but it's not always effective if you're not excited about it and you have the right mindset. And you have to remember - Tulsa is the belt buckle of the Bible belt. You ever heard that? And Owasso? Owasso is the shiny glimmer of light reflecting off that belt buckle. Anyways. Elder Jensen and I often pray that we can make good use of our time and come up with effective plans. Our focus lately has been filling up our schedule to the best of our abilities so that we don't just slack off. There's always a good balance, Mom. As you search for that balance prayerfully, cool things can really happen. Maybe some of your projects can be service-oriented? Hmmm...
This week has been a really good one. I mean awesome!! No new investigators... BUT AWESOME! Haha :) I've mentioned in the past that we have a really good Ward Mission Leader and Bishop, but this week is when it really all came together. This is the sort of thing that Elder Jensen and I have been praying for, so fasten your seatbelts. Last week both Bro. Kennedy and the Bishop went to a ward mission leader training with the stake president and other people. They both got some really cool ideas and basically got the missionary fire lit within. According to them, it was very spiritually uplifting and a lot of amazing promises were made. Bishop Carroll had a one-on-one with the Stake President, and he expressed his concerns with our goal of 12 baptisms for 2012 in Elm Creek (Did I mention that Elm Creek had 0 for 2011?). President Johnson assured him that if the ward helps the missionaries acheive 20 lessons per week, we'll get our baptisms. Bishop Carroll truly feels like it was inspired and he's determined to get us teaching.
So that's basically it. We're going to start teaching 20 lessons a week, no matter what. Even if we have to teach active members the discussions, we're going to get our 20. Of course, active member lessons don't count in our weekly numbers that we report (key indicators), but they sure count on the bishop's key indicators. Our goal now is to start asking families if we can teach their families the discussions for 1. practice and 2. to bring the spirit of missionary work into their home. We're focusing on less-actives of course, but also families with prospective missionaries and families that are struggling. This all might sound kinda weird, but you don't know how excited I am right now! It feels like we're doing something groundbreaking in Owasso. The ward members are actually excited about this! I really felt the spirit when we were discussing this with Bishop and Bro. Kennedy, and I believe in the Stake President. We've already started extending invitations and I look forward to updating you in the future. Y'all should tell me what you think. Does it sound effective? I'm excited for this new transfer. So many cool things happening. The Lord will certainly bless us in many seen and unseen ways.
I hope all is well back home and that it's snowing loads and loads. It was 75 degrees yesterday! I felt like it was summer. Wow, what a lame winter. I want it to snow! Thanks for emailing me and for your love. I love you too! The gospel's so true.
Love, Elder Atkin
P.S. Be sure to tell me how Frank's farewell goes. And wish him luck for me. What a man!
P.P.S. Sorry I forgot pictures again :(
P.P.P.S. I like being District Leader so far. I already had 2 baptismal interviews on Sunday, and they went great! Both of them are ready for baptism, and it was a great experience for me too. Wish me luck with District Meeting this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment