Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April 16, 2012 How be ye?

Dear Family,
 
I'm glad that you enjoyed April and I's letters from last week. What an experience!! Pretty much everyone in my ward now totally loves April (Sister Atkin) to death. Bro. Braisted can't stop talking about it with me, and I can't get enough of it. The young women gave me a picture of them with April. Maybe I'll try to get a copy for y'all. I feel so refreshed! I feel like a brand new missionary! I want to tract all day (even though Elder Ivie doesn't want to). The opportunities are endless when you feel as good as I do.
 
Haha I'm glad you got the picture of Elder Ivie and I and the Ranch Creek elders. That picture is of us cleaning the Lovelace's bathroom. They're getting ready to move and they've had us come over twice now to paint and pack and move stuff and clean. I love service! Bro. Lovelace has a strange disease that made him lose 6 years of memory about 2 months ago. It's crazy!! He's pretty much normal now (besides a few seizures), but he's just beginning to accept that he has two extra children and he went to Japan a few years ago. I do not envy his situation. They're cool though. Bro. Lovelace swears like a sailor. The members out here a great :)
 
Right now we're in the process of waiting for a few people to take the discussions. Don't worry, we work still, we're not literally waiting. But a few different members now have a few people who have agreed to start meeting with us. How exciting is that! You have to understand that getting a single member referral out here is a huge deal. Like, I've been praying for this forever. Referrals are especially awesome because like I mentioned before, Elder Ivie is really quiet (except around people he knows) and can barely talk to random people on the street, let alone tracting. It's so hard for me to gain the confidence to spend time finding (and even teaching), when I know that it's all on me. Sometimes I try forcing Elder Ivie to share a spiritual thought or talk to somebody, but it's really not effective. Don't get me wrong, I love Elder Ivie to death, but he just needs to open his mouth. I can't teach an area on my own. That's partly why we haven't been finding too many new investigators lately. Would you want to go and tract all day by yourself? That's what it's like. But things are improving. We've talked about how we're going to try and give each other positive encouragement. We feel like it can help both of us be more confident in our efforts as ministers.
 
It's been a blessing for Elder Bennett (Ranch Creek) to get Elder Burr from the MTC. Elder Burr is excited just like any other greeny, but he's really smart too. He already seems like a seasoned veteran, and his confidence and go-get-'em attitude is really wearing off onto me. This whole past while I've been needing a kick-start, and so all these past events have really helped me out. Now that I know that God cares, I can do anything, right? We'll see.
 
Sorry this'll be cut short, but I was emailing April back and forth a little bit. She got transferred! I'm so excited for her to get to full proselyting. I'm excited to hear about her experiences in the "cliffside" of Kansas.
 
Have a great week! Love and peace, my homies!
 
Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment