Monday, April 22, 2013

He's sure stretching me...

Dear Family,
 
It's sure good to hear from you. I'm so grateful that I have a family back home to write to and receive emails/letters from. Heck, I'm so grateful that I even have a place to call "home." Today is one of those Mondays where I just wish I could see your faces and spend some time with you. I often feel like Ammon did in the end of Alma 26 when he referrs to him and his brethren as "wanderers in a strange land." I've met some of the greatest people here in the OTM, and yet at times I feel so detatched and so foreign. I don't think I've ever been more at home, but far from home at the same time! Friendships and becoming "part of the family" can only go so far when I'm just temporarily in an area doing the work of the Lord. Missionary life is so weird.
 
I'm not going to sugar-coat it. This week was a rough one. I haven't taught so few lessons in almost a year and a half. It's been very humbling to come into the YSA branch and try to find people to teach. I'm used to knocking on any door and being able to teach that person. Such is not the case here. Everyone we've found so far we've referred to the surrounding family wards. I can at least find joy in giving our zone referrals. Elder H (it's Hironymous, Mom) and I joke with each other that we're going to be the favorite missionaries in the Rogers Zone because we find people to teach for everyone. We're hoping that what goes around, comes around. As we give everyone potentials, maybe we'll get potentials back?
 
The good news is that my son is doing well. He's a natural complainer, but he's doing okay. He doesn't let things get him down. I've been doing my best to help him know that not every area is like this. But I've also helped him understand that with sufficient faith, we can do anything. I've told him once and I'll tell him again that he should never let anyone tell him how something will turn out. For example, if a missionary says, "Oh, that stinks. You're going to a dead area." This is exactly what expectation Satan wants a missionary to be instilled with when he goes to a new area. Sadly, this is the expectation I was given at the beginning of my mission. It's taken almost 2 years for me to learn that I should never let a missionary tell me how it is. I want Elder H to start off right and be able to go into each area with full faith and trust in God.
 
So we've been trying to listen to the Spirit. I've been teaching Elder H how to pray over a map and find certain streets. We've done it a few times and each time without fail we've found a potential investigator on that street. Granted, we don't ever get to teach them ourselves, but it's been neat to see the Lord guide us. I sure hope the other missionaries take care of those referrals! And right now, as I'm typing, I've realized another miracle: we haven't met anyone rude yet. Not even one single person has yelled at us or slammed the door or anything like unto it. I don't care if people are rude to us (in fact I love it), but I think it's a miracle because it's helped Elder H open up in his teaching/door approaches. He's very nervous when it comes to teaching the Gospel. I feel bad because the other day I threw him under the bus in the Milewski's (counselor in the branch presidency and his wife) when I asked them to give a shy missionary advice. He was a little embarrassed, but they gave some good counsel. At least the branch loves having a new missionary :) Every morning in comp. study I have Elder H practice his door approach with me. Fun times.
 
Crazy story of the week: Yesterday we went and ate dinner with Wes, a 25-year-old guy who moved here from Utah about the same time we got here. He's out here selling pest control door-to-door. He joined the church 4 years ago and he's awesome! Anyway, as we were chatting he was like, "So you said you're from Logan?" I answered in the affirmative. He then said, "Hey do you know someone named Stuart Edgington?" I about flipped out. "Yeah, I know Stuart Edgington! In fact, his little brother Stephen was one of my good friends back home!" Y'all remember "Edge," right? Come to find out, Wes was roommates with Stuart at about the time I was going to BYU. I guess Stuart is a big deal nowadays because of some videos he made that have gone viral on the internet. He's even been on national television. Cool stuff! I know a famous guy. Small world.
 
We expect this next week to be better than the last. We have a few potentials and we have some great activities that we're planning. Though things may be tough now, I'm excited to do some fun stuff with the YSA branch. Opportunities will open up that I couldn't have done in a normal area. Should be fun!
 
Man, I already feel so much better from just emailing you. Also, guess what I found out? Just like I predicted, Willard is exploding! They have 7 with a date, one of which is Tom. What a miracle! I just wish I could've been there when they set it. So all my efforts weren't wasted. Gosh, it feels good!
 
Hope y'all have a great week! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ with all of my heart. It keeps me going.
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. Yep, we got a lot of rain this last week. There was one night where we go like 5 inches of rain! The tornado sirens were going on and off all night, but it was no big deal. We have a little closet under the stairs we can hide in.

No comments:

Post a Comment