Monday, February 6, 2012

February 6, 2011- Zone Conference

Dear Family,
 
How's it going family? I love you and I think about you often! As of today, it's been 7 months since I've seen you. Holy cow doesn't that seem soooo long? It's been a great 7 months though. I never would've imagined that so much could happen in just 7 months, but yet so much has happened. Was I really in Springdale, Arkansas? Have I really been here in Owasso for more than 9 weeks? Time flies.
 
We didn't get our goal of 20 this week :( But that's okay! We're only doomed according to the Law of Moses :) But I'm no Law of Moses missionary. It was still a great week in my mind. Zone conference was this past Friday. It was so good! I just absolutely love being instructed by President Merkley and the assistants. They have such good things to say, and I learn so much each time. Certainly that's what zone conference is about - to teach us how to be better missionaries and to inspire us to work harder. It works. I always leave feeling like I could tract my guts out, teach 50 lessons, and baptize nations. Maybe I'm super gullible? Hmmm... One of the main points of zone conference is that we should never give up tracting/finding. So many missionaries out here give up on tracting because of little success. The assistants talked about how we can be the most effective "fishers of men" and how to find people most effectively. I've already got some really good ideas up my sleeve.
 
So. Not to make up excuses or anything, but Super Bowl weekend and Zone Conference certainly didn't help when it came to getting our lessons. It was hilarious - a couple of ward members invited us to their houses for food yesterday. We both knew that they were Super Bowl parties, and so we ended up not going. We could've just eaten the food and not watched the TV, but I know that it would've been too much of a temptation. I heard the Giants won though. Bro. Standley is a HUGE fan, so I know he's a happy man right now.
 
Well, we picked up an investigator this week! Well, sort of... Her name is Ashley and she's a former investigator. Bro. Kennedy introduced the missionaries to her last year, but things just didn't work out and the husband wasn't too interested. But Bro. Kennedy figured that it was about time for us to try again, and he didn't want to give up. We set up an appointment with her on Thursday and so we showed up at 3:00 with Bro. Kennedy. I was expecting just a normal looking woman (whatever that means haha), but I was completely wrong. When Ashley opened the door, she had the punk/skater style with baggy pants and short wild hair. To be quite honest, she looked like a boy! But the lesson went really well as we reviewed the Restoration with her and committed her to read/pray about the Book of Mormon. She didn't say to much, and so I don't know how receptive she was, but I certainly felt the spirit. Bro. Kennedy shared his conversion story, which was totally awesome. We're going to see her again this Thursday, so I'll let you know how that goes. I'm starting to realize that Ashley might be the investigator that Elder Jensen and I have been praying and fasting for. Boy, does the Lord surprise me sometimes! It just goes to show that Heavenly Father's ways and thoughts are above ours. I can't expect a "golden investigator" to drop into my lap because of diligence, prayer, and fasting. Though I have to admit that would be nice... Skater/tomboy Ashley needs the gospel just as much as anybody.
 
David has now come to church 3 weeks in a row (fist pump). We've been visiting with him at least twice a week, inviting him to basketball on Saturday mornings, and staying in constant contact with him. We can't lose him now! He just loves the fellowship that he's been receiving, and he knows he'll stay active for good this time. The last meeting we had with him we talked about Lehi's dream of the Tree of Life. Elder Jensen had an extra poster of an artist's really cool rendition of the story and so we gave him that as a reminder of where he wants to be. It was cool to talk to him about the fruit and how he's dropped the fruit in the past and looked towards the Great and Spacious Building. He hung up the poster so he can always be reminded of his goal of the Melchizedek Priesthood and the Temple. I love David so much :)
 
Well, I'm off to do some shopping and stuff. Have a great week and don't feel too lonely! Thanks for the letter from November. Haha I finally got it from Springdale this past week. Man, I don't know why it took so long... Love you bunches!
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. I'm glad you liked my pictures. Elder Jensen and I go to that park (Elm Creek park) often. It's been a really warm winter and a lot of people go there to exercize and eat lunch and stuff. It's a good way to contact people, don't you think? We haven't had any success yet, but I think we'll see more in the future.
 
P.P.S. I like your "Super Full" idea! So what do you think? Is it breaking the Sabbath to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday? If so, I think half the ward here would be guilty :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment