Monday, February 27, 2012

February 27, 2012 - Elder Ivie :)

Dear Family,
 
Whazzup??!! Wha    zzup    y'all. Haha I love emailing you guys so much :) I totally miss just hangin' out with the fam and doing fun stuff. Elder Jensen and I would often mention to each other how we'd sorta forget that we had a family back home and then all of a sudden BAM - the thought of a loving family back home would slap us in the face. You probably think that I sound a little weird, but it's true! It's like, "Woah... Elder Jensen, I totally have a family." Yeah, it hit's me in the face every now and then. I hope you know that I'm constantly being reminded that the Atkin family exists.
 
Yes, I have a new companion! Now as to prevent myself from going into an extremely long novel about how I miss Elder Jensen very badly and such, let me tell you about Elder Ivie. Hahahaha Elder Ivie :) Elder Ivie has been out 4 1/2 months (he'll get mad if you say he's been out 4), and he came from Ava, Missouri, which was his first area. His home is in American Fork, Utah, and he has 8 siblings. Ultimate Utah Mormon right here, folks. Not to say that I'm not one either, but I like to think that I'm an Okie now. I'm tired of people complaining about how all elders come from Utah, so I think I'll just lie about it in the future. Anyways, Elder Ivie is somewhat of a shy guy, but he'll talk your ear off if he knows you well enough. He is very socially awkward, and he is very much a nerd (shame on me). I get him excited for the day by talking about Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and video games. BUT I love the guy already. He's not one to let his pride get in the way, and he's easy to befriend. It'll be interesting when we start doing more tracting, but I'm not too worried. I could convince him to do anything :) We biked all day yesterday even though he hasn't biked at all yet his mission. We're going to be the hardest working missionaries ever!!
 
Sadly, we weren't able to get much done this week because Elder Jensen had to pack and things are crazy around transfers. Branden wasn't able to meet with us anyways though, because his grandma was really sick. Naturally, they didn't make it to church either. But hey, at least David came for the 7th week in a row! He had to leave church early because he had a nasty head-ache, but at least he came. We have an appointment with Joe this wednesday at 6:30, so we're hoping that we can start teaching him and his family regularly. We stopped by this week, but he was busy again. But at least he told us he was still interested.
 
We have a bunch of potential investigators from all of the tracting that we've done lately, and so this week Elder Ivie and I are going to try to follow-up on all of those. I think I'm starting to like tracting more and more as I do it. Elder Jensen and I tracted some apartments a couple of days before he left, and pretty much every door we met somebody crazy. There was this one door we knocked on and this guy answered that looked like a zombie. Literally. His face was white as snow, his clothes were all tattered and stained, his hair was standing straight up, and his eyes were bloodshot. It scared the pants off of me! I'm pretty sure he's into some heavy drugs or something. As you can guess, he was not interested.
 
Last week, I mentioned that we got to "cast out demons". I probably shouldn't say it that way, because really we just went to a non-members home and blessed it with the help of Bro. Hagedorn. It was actually a really good experience and the spirit was able to be there. Though I have to admit I sorta wanted to see something crazy happen or feel a presence. Yeah, I'm horrible. Chevy (the non-member who lives there) originally had us come over because she had been seeing spirits and hearing strange noises, but I didn't feel or see anything besides the Spirit. Bro. Hagedorn gave a beautiful blessing on the home, and we left the house with a good feeling. Elder Ivie and I stopped by on Saturday, and Chevy says that nothing's been happening since. Yay, the Priesthood works!! We're going to try and teach her and her boyfriend Forrest in the future. Haha how do you like those names? Chevy and Forrest...
 
Ashley dropped us this last week, only a couple of weeks after we started teaching. Super sad! Her husband just wasn't interested and she didn't want to cause contention in the house. I was really bummed a few days ago, but I can at least find comfort in the fact that we taught some great lessons and planted a bunch of seeds. I really think they'll come around some day.
 
So that's about it for this week, I guess. You always say that you're boring, but I really think that I'm the boring one. I wish I could be in the choir with you, Mom. I haven't been able to do ward choir in a while around here, and it would be so much fun to sing with you anyways. You'll have to tell me how it goes. And oh boy, a new calling! Please keep me updated. I'm alo excited to see the color of the paint that you're using with the house when I come back. I always like surprises.
 
Have a great week! I love you so much! The gospel is so true. In fact, it is THE truth. I just love the knowledge that comes from that.
 
Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment