Monday, June 11, 2012

June 11, 2012- Howdy Partners!


Dear Family,
 
Our schedule is kinda crazy today so I have to email you early this morning. You probably won't email me before I get this sent off, but that's okay. But I did get the package you sent me! Thanks so much! I flippin' love the tie. I wore it yesterday to church with my blue suit. I am one classy guy ;) And thanks for the card reader. I would be attaching pictures right now, but my camera's charging. Haha maybe someday you'll get some pictures from me. Overall it was just an excellent birthday. I got more letters than I have at any other time my whole mission (that's not saying a lot), so I feel loved. A member baked me a banana cake and bought me lunch too. The banana cake was just the way we made it back home! It was awesome.
 
It's been quite a good week for the work as well. We picked up a couple of new investigators through members. Let me just say right now - member referrals are THE BEST. The first one's name is Shelby. Shelby is the girlfriend of Bishop Hoffman's son, Cody. Cody just barely got home from a mission, so he kinda laid down the law when they got together. Surprisingly, Shelby has come to church 4 weeks in a row now and is very interested in learning more. She's told Cody that she is learning for herself, and not for him. We haven't officially started teaching her yet, but we will soon. The other new investigator is Heath. Heath is the friend of a member in the 2nd ward, but he'll be moving into our ward soon so that's why we're teaching him. He's just a bit older than me. We first met Heath when he helped us move some stuff at the member's home. He didn't say much to us and I have to admit that I judged him unfairly. First of all, he's absolutely ripped (like body builder hugeness), so I thought that he was rollin' the 'roids. Secondly, he has tattoos wrapping up his arms. I mean, I've taught people like that before, but I just thought to myself that maybe he wasn't the best guy if ya know what I mean. But to my pleasant surprise, he's totally a great guy! Heath informed the member that he was interested in learning about our church, so we met with him yesterday after church. He's golden! He's a really shy guy and he's very nice and well-mannered. And he's very much searching for truth in his life right now. He just wants to be good and do good. Boy did I feel stupid. I already love the guy so much! He said he'd be baptized when he came to know that it's true. He grew up in a Christian church, and his dad is throwing all sorts of anti at him. I used to get mad at that kind of thing, but nowadays it just makes me sad. So many people are filled with misinformation. Google certainly doesn't help. We're going to meet with Heath next Sunday, and I really think that we could set a date with him. Hooray!
 
It sure feels good to be busy. Some missionaries like to joke around and say comments like, "Elder Atkin, do you guys get to just sit around and be lazy 'cause you're zone leaders? That must be so cool!" I glady reply, "Nah, dude. I worked my butt of today." And it's very true. Elder Quinn and I hate to sit around. We've been contacting a lot of old referrals and former investigators. We've done quite a bit of tracting already. Yesterday we were seeing people from the time we left church until bedtime. By golly, I'm so tired! I was nodding off multiple times during church. Church is still super good though. The members here are so awesome! I still don't know a lot of them, but there are some powerhouse testimonies in Joplin.
 
Amber is set to be baptized this Saturday! Elder Lund interviewed her before Frankie's Eagle court of honor and she was totally ready. She still struggles with some concepts because of her mild special needs, but she knows the Gospel is true. After her interview we attended Frankie's court of honor and I got to sit in the Eagle's nest for the first time in a while. It was a picture perfect program. To everyone's surprise, Frankie announced at the end that he had received his mission call in the mail the day before and that he was going to open it with all of us. Everyone flipped out with excitement. And guess where he's going? Pocatello Idaho Spanish speaking!! I was ridiculously awesome. He's already stoked to go. What a great young man!
 
Pretty soon we're going to start a 40-day fast with the ward to help with the missionary effort. Elder Quinn and I are confident that miracles can happen if we have a family fasting for our success each day for 40 days. It's going to be epic! After the 40 days we're planning on having an invitation Sunday where everyone invites their friends and really good speakers are picked. Joplin's going to be on fire with missionary work!
 
Well, have a great week! Thanks again for the great birthday.
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment