Monday, July 2, 2012

July 2, 2012 - 4th of July


Dear Family,

First of all, Mom I love how you referred to my year mark as my "hump day." Send me a camel, will you? I can't believe I'm almost halfway done! But at the same time I can't believe I'm only halfway done. Sheesh.

So what are y'all up to this 4th of July? This Wednesday should be a good one for us. We'll start off the day by going golfing with a nonmember at 7:30 in the morning. If it weren't such a long story, I'd tell you why this former member of the church who was married in the temple, went on a mission, has kids at BYU, etc. had his name removed from the church. Sad, huh?! But he's awesome and he attends church each week and really likes us. We feel like he'll get rebaptized someday in the near future because he totally knows it's true. For now we're fellowshipping him like crazy. Golf is an excellent way to do that and it was HIS idea!! Win win. We'll also be helping someone move and eating enough BBQ to make ourselves sick. Don't worry parents, I won't get fat.

This week was kind of a tough one because Elder Quinn was really sick. We think that he got heatstroke really bad. For like 3 days in a row he slept in until afternoon. It was bad news. But he's totally okay now and as happy as ever. Missionaries get sick. It happens. But we still taught some great lessons!

Best news of the day? We set a date with Shelby for the 4th of August!!!!!!! Shelby - with the help of Cody (Bishop's son who's her boyfriend. Return missionary) agreed to meet with us on Thursday for the first time and receive the discussions. Cody informed us beforehand that she was very nervous and didn't want to have to answer too many questions. But as the lesson started, she totally relaxed as she realized that we weren't going to drill her for answers. Elder Quinn taught about the Restoration excellently and I talked about how the gospel is for us and for our happiness. It was so perfect! We both instantly knew that we needed to invite her to be baptized on a specific date (we talked about it afterwards). Elder Quinn asked her if she'd be baptized on the 4th and I immediately knew that it was right. And guess what she said?? "That's the plan. Time is irrelevant. I know this is for me." *Angels singing* We're meeting with her tomorrow. She's already asking awesome questions about the priesthood and the temple and stuff. Oh yeah, baby!!!!!!!!!!

I know that the 40-day fast that we're holding with the ward is already blessing us tremendously. Shelby totally fell into our laps. An investigator that 2nd ward is teaching actually lives in our area and has a date for the 4th as well. Ashley texted us out of nowhere and wants to meet tomorrow. Every member who's fasted so far has had a missionary experience. SO many miracles!! I'm just beside myself with happiness. It's not like I lack faith big-time, but I never knew that a flippin' 40-day fast could do so much in just a week! We're not even 1/4 the way done! I know for a fact that fasting works and that the Lord blesses us with opportunities when we put forth our effort. What an awesome experience.

Every day just keeps getting better and better. Well, we still have our slow days, but we just have an urgency that I've never felt before. I want to just shout to everyone in Joplin! But sadly, there is someone who's still struggling. Remember my old pal Elder Jensen? He's been out almost a year now and still hasn't had a baptism. Their most recent heart break happened when an investie with a date for the 7th (this Saturday) just flipped out and dropped them. Just like that. Elder Jensen is kinda struggling because he thinks he's doing wrong. I just feel so depressed because if there's anyone who deserves a baptism, it's him. He's a hard worker and a great guy! Pray for Elder Jensen. He needs it. I remind him that numbers don't matter, but it still stinks. Missions are tuff!

Well, I love y'all very much and wish you the best. Thanks for your support!

Love, Elder Atkin

P.S. Here's some pics (finally). There's one of me and Elder Doxey, who is now home. He sang in Magic with me, so maybe you'll recognize him. The picture was taken at transfer points as he was on his way to the mission home after 2 years of dedicated service. I love that man!  Then there's one of Elder Quinn, Ryan, and I after eating lunch one day. Ryan is the son of a member from the Stockton ward who is best friends with Elder Quinn. Haha he's kinda nerdy but he's totally my favorite!


Elder Atkin and Elder Doxey
Elder Atkin, Ryan, and Elder Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment