Monday, October 22, 2012

October 22, 2012

Dear Family,

So how's life? How's the presidential race? With November coming up quick, more and more people are asking us questions about Romney and such. It's ALL people talk about these days! I don't even watch the news, but yet I usually get a play-by-play of the latest debate, etc. For some reason I get the feeling that this election is more important than elections in the past. Some people I've met are legitimately worried about the future of their families. It gets me all worried in return. It's sure a sign of the times. There is more increasingly good things said about the church these days. Same goes for the bad. Crazy... By the way, I know I should've brought this up like 3 months ago, but is it too late for someone like me to vote with an absentee ballot? I don't even know if I registered back home, but everyone keeps asking me about it. Just curious.

Meanwhile, in Joplin, Missouri - Elder Atkin is in his little missionary bubble. Thoughts of future life and presidential races and football are swept away by thoughts of baptismal dates and what tie he'll wear for the day. Hmmm... Today I think I'll wear my plaid, multi-colored tie that was made from imported wool from Scotland. I found it at the D.A.V. Thrift store for $1!!! D.A.V. Thrift is probably one of my favorite places on the planet. Goodwill comes in at a close 2nd, and then the Salvation Army after that. That's where I found a suit for only $6. Cha-ching!

Anyway. Most of our investigators are doing pretty good. Kim and her family weren't able to make it to church yesterday, but they're still on their way towards their baptisms on November 24th. I don't remember if I told you this already, but Dustin moved out (Kim's boyfriend), Pete moved out (Bri's boyfriend), and Cameron moved back in (Bri's husband who ran away a few months ago). It's been one crazy mess, but things are slowly falling in to place as Kim, Bri, and Brandon have decided to live the gospel. It was going to be really difficult to worry about Kim and Dustin getting married and Bri and Pete getting married, but we don't have to worry about that anymore. And since Cameron came back, he's decided that he wants to learn and get baptized. When he showed up, Bri quickly forgave him and let him back in. He decided to come back because he knew he needed to be in his two sons' lives. Both Kim and Bri have talked about how they know that they need to live the Gospel and keep the commandments, and that they couldn't do it with Dustin and Pete around. That's what can happen when people keep their commitments and read their scriptures! This family has figured out something that many investigators can't do. It's awesome :)

Sadly, Ashley is back on the downward slope again :( We met with her on Thursday and had an amazing lesson with her. She even told us that she wants to be baptized! We left the lesson on cloud 9, only to get a tearful call from her Friday morning telling us that she can't meet with us anymore. She didn't even give us a reason why. Before I could ask her anything she hung up. I was super depressed for the rest of the day. I didn't even want to go outside. I'm just so sick of getting my hopes up and then having them shattered into pieces! Ashley's dropped us like 3 times before, but this time was different. I could barely understand her because she was crying so much. We figure it's because of pressure from her family this time. Her uncle isn't the biggest fan of Mormonism. Maybe she'll call us in a few weeks. Sigh...........

On a brighter note, we had a few miracles this week. This weekend there was an open house in the new stake center for anybody and everybody to come and see what a Mormon church looks like. It was a really enjoyable three days as we were able to talk to people, give tours, and answer questions. We didn't get quite the turnout that we were hoping for, but some cool people came through. A few older couples who live nearby came in and said that they watched the building go up for the past year and couldn't wait to go inside. A lot of members brought their friends. I spent most of the time just sitting at a desk with a guest book, directing people to different places. On Saturday, during a slow period I was able to give a tour to a Methodist couple. They attend church very actively at the Methodist church in downtown Joplin, but they couldn't pass up on seeing what "candidate Romney's church" looked like. I'm sure you can guess who they were voting for :) Anyway, they both asked really good questions and planned on coming back to do genealogy in the family history center. Afterward, the wife (I wish I could remember her name) told me that she was a music teacher and that she LOVED MOTAB with all her heart. To quote her, "There's all the good choirs on this earth, and then there's the Mormon Tabernacle Choir." She enjoyed my comments and answers to her questions so much that she invited Elder Nordine and I to come to her church in the future. She's going to fire up the pipe organ for us! I'm both excited to go to her church, and to answer more of her questions. She's really, really interested. It was a miracle for me because I felt like April for a brief second. She gets to give tours all the time, but this was something new to me. And I loved it so much! There's nothing more exciting than bearing your testimony in your own church to honest, good people who are seeking Christ.

While I don't have time to write about the other miracles we saw, I do want y'all to know that I believe in a God of miracles. He's preparing people everyday to receive the Gospel. I love witnessing His work. Keep your chins up! The Lord loves you :)

Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment