Monday, November 5, 2012

November 5, 2012

Dear Family,

You know what I was thinking about recently? Only a few years ago, our little family was all together in Cache Valley, UT. Now we are all so far apart. Annie and Neal are in North Carolina, April and I are in Missouri, Rachel's been in Provo, Amy and Marc have been all over the place in Utah... When I thought about all this, naturally I was a little sad about the distance between us all, but at the same time it is pretty cool. The Atkin family is spreading abroad! Our amazingly awesome influence is being felt across the world :) And yet, I feel very close to everyone at times. I think that it's not only because we love each other so much, but because we all share something beautiful in common: our testimonies of the Gospel. I asked Elder Nordine the other day, "What did I do to deserve to be born in the covenant into an amazing family that is all active in the church?" There are answers to this question, but I still wonder. Out of billions of people in the world, I got to be an Atkin! Wow...

So how is everyone doing? I know I'm not always the best at writing emails and letters, but it should be obvious (based on the first paragraph) that I think about y'all often. I blame it on the mission. Not due to homesickness, but because of the the experiences that I've been a part of. For example, I've been in situations where I think to myself, "What would ______ do right now?" (insert your name in the blank) All of you are so much more patient, loving, friendly, etc. than me! Patience is actually something that I've been struggling with lately. As mentioned last week, it just seems like Satan has been working extra hard lately. Not only on our investigators, but on myself. I've been really snappy, easily angered, and kind of mean. It makes me sick just thinking about it. Luckily I'm companions with a very fun-loving and patient elder, but I really want to improve. I should always be happy, but that hasn't always been the case lately. Today we're going to ZLC in Tulsa, so I'm hoping that President Shumway shares some things that will give me a good spiritual kick in the pants. Any suggestions on how to help me become more kind and patient? I really need it.

This week was a somewhat rough week. We taught some really good lessons to the Coxes and the Sands, but our efforts didn't really show number-wise. We had about 6 or 7 appointments cancel throughout the week, which is always frustrating. Nobody showed up at church :( On Thursday we had a lesson with Ashley in which she stormed out. We were meeting with her in the first place because she came to church last week. As we started the lesson, the Spirit was obviously not there and it was really awkward the whole time. She wasn't really paying attention very much so I interrupted Elder Nordine's thought and asked her what we could do for her. She started crying and said something about her family's recent troubles. We tried to comfort her and we talked a little bit about the Holy Ghost and it's purpose. That's when she stood up and exclaimed, "Just because I'm going through a hard time doesn't mean I don't have the Spirit!" She grabbed her daughter's arm and ran out of the room, leaving Elder Nordine and I with shocked looks on our faces. We drove home in silence. Oh well, another week with Ashley :)

The Stills (Bri included) are especially going through a tough time right now. Branden ran away from home and walked all the way to his dad's place in Carthage. They didn't make it to church yesterday because they just have had too much to deal with lately. Last night we went over and gave them each priesthood blessings to help them have the strength to keep going. It's just been one thing after another. The good news is that this morning Kim sent us a text, telling us that the blessing helped her out tremendously and that she knows that God is there. It was truly an answer to many prayers.

So, yeah. A lot of junk has happened recently, but things are still going well in our area. We still have the Stills and the Coxes set for baptism, so that's encouraging. The Coxes didn't make it to church, but they are definitely progressing. The youth helped us with a service project on Saturday putting up the roofing on their house. It's been fun to see the Coxes meet more and more people in the church and receive the fellowship that they need.

Well, I've got to get going, but it's sure good to hear from y'all. I'm doing pretty good nowadays, but I want to be better. Pray that your son will have the strength and courage to do some tracting and street contacting this week. We need more new investigators and I've been kind of a wimp lately. I'll admit that it's been a while since we've gone finding. Time to man up!

Love, Elder Atkin
P.S. Here's a picture  it's of Elder Nordine and I in our Halloween costumes acting like goofs in the car. Yeah, we're weird :)

No comments:

Post a Comment