Monday, June 17, 2013

Hi

Dear Family,
 
Happy Fathers Day, Dad! I wish I could've been there yesterday to give you a hug and "a great big kiss" (primary song). :) But don't worry, I'll see you soon. I'm planning on throwing a big ol' party for everyone that's close to me for all the birthdays, holidays, and events that I missed. I'm so bad at sending letters and cards and such. I want to be a better birthday-recognizer when I get home so that people know that I actually care. I'm done being selfish!
 
Mom, I like what you said in your email about a "fulness of opposition." It's so true. We live in a time with such extremes in wickedness as well as righteousness. Just like you, I'm so grateful for the price we have to pay to receive such wonderful light, truth, and knowledge. I feel like I'm at the height of missionary work - the top of the world! That could only exist with such extreme filth around us. Like I always say: the rainy days sure make us appreciate the sunny ones. If I was baptizing every day I would treasure those moments a lot less than I do now. How thankful I am for the tough days that make the successful days so much sweeter. Remember the song from "My Turn on Earth" about opposition? Hahaha if we still have that I really want to listen to it when I get home.
 
I don't know if I already told you (too lazy to look in the Sent Mail), but Cassandra went to Mexico on Wednesday and will be there until the end of July. We had a couple of awesome lessons before she left and I feel satisfied with the way we sent her off. We watched "Safety for the Soul" by Jeffrey R. Holland. Always a fan favorite :) Both her and Claire loved the line where he said, "no wicked man could write such a book as this, and no good man would write it, unless it were true..." They now have a stronger desire to read and pray about the Book of Mormon because they understand its importance. Cassandra agreed to bring her Book of Mormon with her. It kind of stinks that she's leaving, but we feel that it will be a good time for her to think about things and make a decision.
 
Claire will also be leaving for a trip, but not until a couple days after I go home. She met with us on Saturday at the church and we were able to give her a tour and teach a lesson. She continues to tell us that while she doesn't want to jump on board yet, she feels good about what we're teaching her. Elder H and I feel like we could set a date with her this week for a few weeks after she gets back in August. After our lesson there just so happened to be a baptism in the relief society room (we planned it to work out that way) so we invited her to come. She sat down with us and we watched one of the best baptisms I've ever seen. It was for an 18-year-old girl named Amber. The Spirit was so strong! Everything went perfectly and I know that Claire felt it. She told us she really enjoyed it. The only thing negative out of all of this is that she didn't come to church yesterday because it was fathers day. But she did promise that she would come next week for all 3 hours. Little does she know that since our church starts at 2:30 she's going to be there for the big world-wide missionary meeting at 5:00 that everyone's been talking about. It's going to be so awesome!!
 
I'll admit something to y'all. For the longest time, I really wanted to end my mission with a baptism. Selfish, right? Yeah, I really really really wanted it, but it's not going to happen. So many other good things can happen in 3 weeks so I'll be okay. I've realized that I can be happy knowing that I tried my best and that some of the people I'm teaching now will probably get baptized a few months from now. It doesn't need to happen right this minute. All the people I've ever worked with don't need to "Come unto Christ" in the short 2 year time period of Elder Atkin's mission. Elder Heindel (still in Willard) also informed me that James and Lynette are progressing and that a few other people we taught are getting close to baptism. Exciting!
 
I'm doing great. There's quite a few negative things that I could share with you, but that isn't necessary. Too many good things are happening and an opposition in all things makes those good things even better. What a great perspective!
 
I love you. "60 minutes, fellas."
 
Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment