Wednesday, September 21, 2011

August 2, 2011

Dear Family,
I am currently in the Springdale city library and I have about an hour to email. Thanks so much for emailing me! I'm so so so soooo excited to write a letter to you that I just can't stand it! I have so much to say, and so I'm happy that I have more than the measley half hour the MTC gives me. This should go well :)
First off, I just want to say I'm happy. I'm very happy! Not gonna lie I'm a little homesick at times, but I'm definitely happy at the opportunities being in the field presents. I'm a real missionary now, and so of course this should bring me some amount of satisfaction (haha). I've had a lot of fun since flying on the plane(s), arriving at the mission home, and being transfered to my new area last Thursday.
I'm guessing you received the letter I sent from the mission home, so you know a little bit about where I've been assigned, who my companion is, etc. I'll try to answer all of Mom and Dad's questions, as well as tell you how things are going.
Oh boy! Springdale, Arkansas... First off, just in case you didn't know this before, Elder Villarreal (Zeke) was just barely in this area right before I came, and he was transfered to Carthage, Missouri just a few hours before I showed up. Isn't that crazy!? I just barely missed him! All of the Elders around here have said nothing but good things about him, and they tell me of all of the good things he's said about me. I guess there's some pretty high expecations for Elder Atkin... But anyways, Springdale is quite the interesting place. From my experience so far, the people are quite nice overall, but there's also a lot of wackos. Pretty much everybody down here (they consider this the South) smokes and drinks, and I'd swear this is the redneck capital of the world. Every house we pass there is a half naked man sitting outside working on his car. Sheesh! It's quite funny to me really, but it only makes Cache Valley, Utah seem even farther away. I feel like I'm in a different country! There's churches EVERYWHERE around here, and I'm pretty sure none of them are the same. Crazy...
It is definitely HOT over here. In fact, right now it is 105 degrees with a heat index of 115. I've never been so thankful for AC in my whole entire life. When we first stepped out of the airport in Tulsa, I thought I was drowning in a hot tub. But I do have to admit I kinda like it. Sure I was melting into the pavement when we were biking the other day, sure I was soaking wet as we were knocking on less actives' doors, sure it's going to take a while to get used to. But yet it's exiting to be in a new environment with new people and the thought of working hard for the Lord. I feel so legit when I'm soaking wet and talking to someone who's smoking on their front lawn :)
Haha I've totally been persecuted already! We were biking for the first time last Saturday and we were on a busy street. Cars were passing by and a few people yelled at us and laughed at us. I'd thought I'd be scared out of my pants, but I actually just laughed and kept on biking. It was awesome :) That's the thing about the people here in Arkansas. They either love us or hate us. I've had people give me their spare change at Walmart and thank me for my service, and others give me death glares and the stink eye. Yeah it's wild. But that's why I love wearing a name tag for our Church. Heavenly Father has truly blessed me so far.
My companion's name is Elder Stephen Charles Navratil. What a stud :) Elder Navratil hails from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, he is a redhead, and he's way shorter than me. He's one of those stereotypical Canadians that says "eh" after everything. That really makes me laugh. He's really nice, and I know we'll get along just fine. He's 27 years old, so that's a little weird, but at least y'all can find comfort in the fact that he is very mature and hard working.
We live in a pretty nice apartment a little ways from downtown. The Marshallese speaking Elders also live with us (Elder Rodrigues from California and Elder Latrik from the Marshall Islands) and it's just a super fun time. I feel a little spoiled living in such a big apartment, but that's all balanced out by the fact that Elder Navratil and I don't have a car. The Marshallese Elders do, and so we get rides with them to places sometimes.
My bike came today! It was super exciting to see it sitting on the neighbor's porch (they're members and they have a reliable address). Elder Navratil helped me put it together, and it is VERY sleek. Wow. I'll have to send pictures so you can see it's awesomeness.
Speaking of pictures... I'll be able to send pictures with emails, but I forgot my camera today (sorry!). I'll try to get some up next time. Mom I'm so glad that you got my SD card. Hopefully you liked all the pictures. Mom, you should send me some pictures in the mail sometime just so I can have some. I miss you guys so much!
We've made a lot of street contacts so far, and we've visited a few less actives, but we really haven't had too much of a chance to teach yet. We'll definitely get more of a chance this week as we get out more, so I'm excited for that. As we teach more, I'll tell you more about it, okay?
Yesterday was P-Day, and so that's when I'll usually email. Their computers were down and so we had to do it today. You can expect an email from me next monday. And I'll expect one from you too :) And yes, I can email immediate family so the sisters can send me emails and I can send them emails too (if I have time).
I'm running out of time, but I just want to say I love you and pray for you! Thanks for all the letters and the prayers for me. I'm doing just fine, and I'm excited to really get rolling. In your next email you guys should tell me about everything that's going on and how things have been. I'd love to hear from you! You can never send enough letters and don't be afraid to send a letter whenever you want to.
I love you so much and I look forward to hearing from you again. I'll include more in my next email. See ya!
Love, Elder Atkin
 P.S. I love the ward. They are all so nice! The church is truly true wherever you go.
 Elder Atkin with his new companion Elder Navratil


Willie's new bike

No comments:

Post a Comment