Wednesday, September 7, 2011

July 13, 2011

Dear family,
It's email time! I'm here in the laundry room waiting for my laundry to get washed. It's crazy in here... There's people all over the place and it's hard to find an open washer and drier. But hey, it's a good time :) I'm sitting here next to Elder Denton (he says hi) and now it's time for me to think of something amazing to say. Hmmm....
I don't really know where to begin! But I don't have much time so I need to hurry. I'm sure it's the same for all first time missionaries, but I really have been through a lot in the past week. So many emotions, so many experiences, so many new faces... It's all hard to take in, but I'm already getting used to it.
Side note: I just remembered that I forgot to bring my camera. Sad day :( Don't be sad though! I promise that I have taken some great pictures and I will post them next week. Promise.
Anyways. Pretty much I love the MTC. My district is so awesome and spiritual. They already feel like family. The majority of the last week has been spent in a classroom with these 10 people (9 discluding me). We have great teachers, and everyone loves to learn. Here's a little bit about everyone:
I'll start with Elder Denton. What an awesome companion! I've already told you a little bit about him in my first letter, but you'll find out a ton more in another hand-written letter I sent today. I knew I couldn't fit everything in this email, so I thought it would be a good idea to respond to Dad's email. But anyways, Elder Denton is seriously the companion that I needed to get kick-started in this mission, and I don't say that lightly. Like I said, Elder Denton is from small town Utah in San Pete County. He grew up on a ranch with his family, and he LOVES to "saddle bronc" haha! He talks with an accent that only a small-town boy can get. Just imagine a Texas movie star accent. Elder Denton just itches to be in his jeans and boots, riding horses. Pretty much the most opposite from me as it gets. I thought it would be a disaster from the very beginning, but we are getting along just nicely. In fact, I just love him to death! There's a lot more to tell, but like I said you'll find out more about him in the letter I sent you.
Elder VanWagoner and Elder Urban: VanWagoner is from California and Urban is from Nevada. VanWagoner is a little chubby, but he is flippin' hilarious! I laugh whenever he laughs. What a funny guy :) Urban is the classic city slicker boy. He loves to play baseball, and he actually played for Dixie State his freshman year of college. Yeah, he's pretty good. I can certainly tell from the few times we played softball during gym time. These two elders are super awesome and easy to be friends with, and so Elder Denton and I do everything with them. We actually moved in with them last night because of some happenings in our dorm, but that's a long story that I will have to tell later.
Elder Holmes and Elder Bott: Holmes was a 3-year camera salesman before his mission and he's from Utah. He's over-the-top sarcastic, and he is very good at impersonating pretty much anybody. Elder Bott is your classic nerd from Utah.
Only 5 minutes left! Okay the sisters in our district are named Sisters Hanshew and Flansberg (both from Nevada), and Sisters Bedard (from Oregon) and Hawkes (from Idaho). I don't know a ton about them, but they all bring a sweet spirit that fills the room.
There is a lot more to share about all of the people in my district, but overall I just love all of them and they all have great testimonies.
The food here is totally awesome! I try not to eat too much so I don't get fat, but it's really hard when they serve something yummy every meal. The cafeteria is absolutely packed every meal, but it's just fun to be in the midst of so many great missionaries. I've literally met so many missionaries from all over the world. So cool!
Well, I'm out of time, but I promise to write more next time. It's so busy! I love you guys so much and I know that the gospel is true. This is where I need to be.
-Elder William Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment