Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November 21, 2011

Dear Family,
 
Oh Mom, sometimes I just ache to give you a big hug too! There are many times that the four of us elders sit around in our living room before bedtime and just talk and talk and talk about our families and what it's like back home. It's probably not the best thing, because it makes me homesick, but I love talking about y'all. The other elders know all about my adorable Mom and super-human Dad and my totally awesome older sisters. Fun times :) Don't worry Mom, you can just make a gingerbread man that looks like me, alright? Include it with your gingerbread house and you're sure to win the first prize haha!
 
I guess if there's one thing that we get out of emailing each other, it should be that we love each other. A BUNCH. There's nothing like a mission to make an elder realize what really matters most in life. There are too many broken families out there. What did I do to deserve a loving family back home?? Holy flippin' luckiness!!! I feel so blessed. It just goes to show how much the gospel blesses families. And that is what I want more than anything: an eternal family.
 
This week wasn't too eventful because of one thing: I was sick. Man, I was as sick as a dog. Don't worry, I'm all better now. But on Wednesday I woke up and just felt horrible. I had the chills and my stomach felt like somebody had kicked it like a soccer ball. I went to district meeting anyways, because I thought that I just needed to man up and go. We even went to a few appointments afterwards, but I didn't feel any better. That night we went to Nichole's house to celebrate her husband's birthday. It was a lot of fun and we watched a cool church movie. But while we were watching it, I suddenly knew that I was going to puke. I quickly ran into Nichole's bathroom and pretty much erupted into the toilet. Oh man, it was nasty! I then knew that we just needed to get home.
 
I had a really bad cough, and so I thought it would be a great idea to take some Nyquil and just go to bed. Stupid stupid stupid. I woke up at 2 AM and it all came out the other end with twice the force (sorry if that was a little TMI...). So yeah, I realized that I basically don't know how to take care of myself. I didn't wake up until 11 on Thursday. I was SO out of it! I got back in bed at 2 and slept until 6, and then I went to bed again at 9. I don't think I've ever slept so much in my life. I didn't sleep as much the next day, but we took Friday off as well. I finally felt better on Saturday, so we were able to do a few things, but I think that I'm only just barely getting back to full speed. Yeah, it was bad. But I feel great today! Especially since it's preparation day :)
 
So yeah, we only taught like 4 lessons last week. It was kind of embarrassing to turn in our numbers last night because there wasn't really anything to turn in. But I'm sure our district leader understands. I really want to hit it hard this week to make up for last week. It seems like we keep on hitting road blocks that prevent us from totally lighting the area on fire. It's really frustrating! But we just gotta keep on working with what we have, and continue to try and find the people who are ready to hear our message.
 
The tough thing is that Elder Capitan isn't really a big fan of tracting. I thought he was when I first met him, but it hasn't really turned out that way. We've been trying to find new investigators with other methods, but I really think that it's not working that well. We've done some tracting, but not nearly enough. I, on the other hand, have found that I LOVE tracting! It's kinda weird, because I never thought I would, but I do. So it's a little frustrating sometimes when Elder Capitan is making all of the decisions (I'm the junior companion), and I don't feel like I have a say.
 
Do you know what's crazy though? Transfer calls are coming up this Saturday! I have absolutely no idea if I'll be staying or going, but I'll be sure to let you know. Craziness!

It's gotten really cold outside here too. The past few days have been really gloomy, dark, and misty. It's kinda cool though. I like it! Winter is definitely coming. It's weird though. It's a different kind of cold. I always heard people talk about it, but it's true that the cold seems to feel colder here. It seems to seep through your clothes. BBBRRR!! I have a good coat though, so I'm not too worried. The only thing I need now is gloves.
 
I'm so glad to hear that Rachel's play went well! I wish I could've seen it. I have to admit that I laughed really hard at the picture of Rachel though. She looks funny as an old lady hee hee hee :) Thanks for sending the pictures.
I'm so excited for Christmas! I'm already looking past Thanksgiving. I'm like you, Mom. I'm ready for the Christmas music :) I don't know what I want for Christmas... I haven't really thought about it. I'll think some more on it and let you know, alrighty? And I would still love to draw names if that is at all possible. I plan on sending gifts too!
 
Well, I don't really have much else to say except that I love you and I'm thinking about you all! Thanks for your support and for the emails. I feel so loved :) Sorry I don't have more cool stories from this past week. Like I said, not much happened because I was really sick. But I hope to be able to update you on a few cool new investigators and potentials we have in the future. Keep your fingers crossed, folks!
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S.Again. I think my past few emails have been lame so I'm going to write you all some letters this week. Yay. Now I feel better :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment