Monday, November 28, 2011

November 28, 2011

Dear family,
 
Why yes, Mother, I am full of vigor and vim! Especially since I'm not puking anymore. I was thinking about what I was thankful for this past week, and I realized that I'm thankful for a healthy body. It's something that I really take for granted. Think about all of the people out in the world that have various health problems. I seriously can't complain. My body is so awesome that when something gross gets inside, my body wants to get rid of it. It does what it's supposed to do! Isn't that so amazing?? Haha I probably sound weird, but I really am thankful that I was able to get better and eat all of the turkey that I could - for there was a LOT of turkey to be eaten. Pretty much every house that we've eaten at since last thursday has fed us leftover Thanksgiving dinner. Which I'm totally okay with!! We ate at the Mendez house for dinner on Saturday (we eat there every week. They're my favoritest family) and we had some of their leftovers. But the cool thing is that they're Hispanic, so they do things a little differently. Sure there was turkey and mashed potatoes, but it was served with hot tortillas, Spanish rice, and beans. Hahaha I love the Mendez family so much :)
 
The Smith's were more than kind to us to have us over on thursday. They had all the classics: turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry jelly... Awwwwww yeeeeaahhh :) I've decided that I have to bike extra hard in the coming weeks to make up for how much I ate. It was overall an awesome day. That morning Bro. Smith took us out to Elkins (a small town in the country past Fayetteville) to have us help chop wood for his son who lives out there. We helped take down a dead tree that could be used for fire wood. Talk about manly!! I do have to admit I didn't do much chopping, but I did stack the wood in the back of the truck. Hey, somebody's got to do it! I saved a piece of wood so I could carve in the words "I survived the Sloan/Smith wood-cutting of 2011" or something similar, but I think I'm too lazy to do it. Just know that I had a fun time choppin' wood with a bunch of men. I wish Dad could've been there. It was such a beautiful day! I'm beginning to appreciate Arkansas more and more each day. There's nothing like low-hanging fog on a cold morning in the Ozarks. Epic. Too bad I have to move away from it all.
 
Why yes! I'm getting transferred! Surprise surprise surprise! To be honest, I was very VERY surprised. I thought for sure that I would stay here for at least one more transfer. I kinda wanted to be here for Christmas too. But the Lord has other plans for me, I guess. So I'm moving to a town in Oklahoma called Elm Springs. It's near Tulsa (I think), and I'll be moving there this Thursday. I was so crazy - Saturday was transfer calls, so we made sure to be back at the apartment at 9:00 sharp. Usually calls come within the first half hour or so, but they can come as late as 10:30. So you can only imagine my thoughts as 10:25 rolls around and the Assistants call. In minutes previous we were all laughs and smiles as we thought we'd be together for Christmas. But sure enough the phone rang and the Assistants were like, "Elder Capitan, how would you like to stay in Springdale for a while? But how would you like to get a new companion?" My heart raced. I'm moving! The Assistants then informed me about where I was moving to, and that I would become senior companion to a certain Elder Jensen. Woohoo I'm senior companion! It was really bittersweet. Like I said, I kinda wanted to stay here for another tranfer. The work has been really picking up and it would've been easy for me to move next year. But hey, I'm excited to meet new people and to meet my new companion.
 
I was a little bit quiet at church because I knew that I wasn't going to see a lot of the members ever again. I didn't really tell anyone that I was moving because I didn't want to cry like a baby. Besides, I'm here to bring souls to Christ, and not get comfortable. I really will miss Springdale though. We're planning on saying goodbye to a few of the members/investigators that I got really close to. I'll let you know how this week goes. It's really exciting! There could be someone waiting for me in Elm Springs. I'll send you my address as soon as I get it.
 
It's so good to hear that you had a great Thanksgiving too. It must've been fun to eat dinner with the Drapers. And ping pong? Lucky! I played recently against a member named Bro. Dias. He's from Brazil and he's really good. But I beat him. It felt so good :) Dad would've been proud. And Mom, I'm so excited for your gingerbread house! I wish I could see it. You should send pictures. I think that's one thing I want for Christmas: a bunch of pictures.
 
Everyone out here is excited for Christmas. Christmas lights are going up like crazy, and the members are preparing for cool programs and such. Some previous elders left a Christmas tree in the closet and so we set it up. I hope I have one in Elm Springs :) You'd be surprised at some of the crazy stuff that is left behind by missionaries. Hilarious!
 
Well, I gotta go. Thanks for the emails and for everything. I'm thankful for the family I have back home. I'll update you on everything that happens this week next Monday.
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. Sorry no pictures again. Don't worry - there'll be plenty next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment