Monday, November 7, 2011

November 7, 2011

Dearestestestest family!!!
 
Guess what? I got an email from April!! She's doing well and she just loves it so much! I quickly emailed her back a few minutes ago and told her that I was happy that our preparation days aren't on the same day. Isn't that such a blessing??!! It'll make communication between us easier. Either way I'm just happy to hear that she's doing well and that she's already had some awesome/crazy experiences. Hooray for the two Atkin missionaries!
 
How are y'all doin'? Man, it snowed?! It's been getting a lot colder here lately, and it reminds me of home big time. I looooove the cold! I'd rather be cold than hot, ya know? The fall colors here have been AMAZING, and I hear that this wasn't even a good autumn compared to the past. Whaaaaaaat? I just love this time of year :) Last week was Halloween and all of Springdale was abuzz with Trick or Treaters and such. We stayed home that night and had candy ready to give out to anyone who came. A bunch of Marshallese people came and they'd all take like five handfuls. It was pretty hilarious :) Even the adults were trick or treating! Hahaha a bunch of people in the ward were telling me about how mad they would get when adults would come to there door. Some of them even told them no and closed the door. Wowzers...
 
I do have to say that this week has been a lot better. Sorry if I complained and sounded like a wimp in my last email. I was just having a lame day and a lame couple weeks. This week we picked up a few promising investigators, and I was just overall a happier person. Things are looking up! I like your advice Mom - I just need to remember to look up. It sounds like a really small thing, but often times I just stare at the ground when I'm going from appointment to appointment, or from door to door. This last week I decided I was going to be a happier and more confident person, so I raised my head up more. I realized that I often miss the beautiful world around me. Sure there's a lot of evil and sadness in the world, but there's a lot of good too! The Ozarks are magnificent this time of year, and I notice more of the little things when I take the time to look up. There are so many little tender mercies that Heavenly Father gives us each day, but we're often distracted by negative thoughts, or our lack of "looking up." The other day we were biking and I realized that I was having fun. Having fun? On a bike? With somebody yelling out the window of their car at me??? No way... But yes way!! Life is only getting better, my friends :)
 
So yes, I'm doing well. There isn't much to say about our new investigators, because they're brand new, but I'll update you more in the future. I thought we were going to do a lot of tracting this week, but it didn't end up that way. We put in a bajillion miles on our bikes again, but we didn't do as much finding as I thought we would. Oh well, we probably will this week.
 
That's awesome that you had the missionaries over! I laughed out loud when you talked about the greeny and his awkwardness. SO been there! SO done that! Yeah, I'm still awkward at times, but I'm getting used to it. I love eating with the members and having awesome spiritual thoughts with their families. Our ward is so great! As of late, we've been asking for referrals like crazy. A few families had some cool neighbors they want us to teach, but it all comes in time. They don't want to sic the missionaries on them and ruin relations. Member missionary work it a delicate process at times. But we always thank them for the food and for their service. Members are always trying their hardest to get us referrals.
 
Well, I'm out of time already! But I feel great! I didn't have much to say today, but I hope you know I'm happy(er), and that I'm "looking up." I love this work! I love you!
 
Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment