Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March 6, 2012- Tornado Alley

Dear Family,
 
Did you hear about all of the tornados around my mission last Tuesday?! Crazy stuff! Nothing really happened around here, but I heard about tornados in Pittsburg, Kansas and Branson, Missouri. You probably know more than me because you watch the news, but I still get updates about tornados watches and warnings. Haha Elder Ivie and I were actually walking outside at around 8:30 PM when we heard that there was a tornado watch. I noticed that it was really windy, but I didn't think much of it. Don't worry, Mom - I know what to do in a tornado. The Mitchells have a nice bunker thing in their house anyway. But Elder Jensen did call me the next day and told me about the tornado in Pittsburg (where he is). Apparently there was a little bit of damage to houses and trees, so they've been doing a lot of service. As district leader, I'm supposed to call all of the areas in my district after such warnings/watches to make sure everyone is okay and report to the zone leaders.
 
Yes, I have been taking good care of Elder Ivie. I might've exaggerated a little bit in my last email, so I hope you don't think that he's a total dupe with no confidence. Elder Ivie is quite intelligent and funny. You just have to know him first :) But seriously, we're really getting along as the days go by. He's my new best pal. It's totally different from Elder Jensen though. Elder Ivie feels like my little brother. He's super hilarious and I can pretty much say anything I want around him. I feel 100% comfortable. Golly, I've been spoiled the past few months! Owasso is my favorite and so are my most recent companions. The only thing that would make life better is a bunch of new investigators. I'm still waiting on that one.
 
But I do have to say that we did get 2 new investigators this week! We went on splits with Taylor (an elder our age who can't go on a mission because of health problems) on Tuesday and visited a bunch of potentials from tracting. It was one of those days (that we have quite often) where all of our plans fall through because nobody is interested/home. The last potential we stopped by was a mid-aged couple named Tom and Belinda. When we first tracted into Tom, he let us right in and was very kind to us. Him and his wife are hard-core Southern Baptist, so they didn't seem too interested, but they really love the elders because they've met with some in the past.
 
I didn't think that there was much there, but I decided to drop by again with Taylor because I remembered how nice they were and we didn't have anyone else to see. Similarly to the first time, Tom answered the door and let us right in with a hearty greeting. We sat down and had a nice spiritual discussion (aka Bible study) for about an hour. Things seemed to be wrapping up, so I was getting ready to leave. Suddenly Taylor bears a powerful testimony about the Book of Mormon and how it helps him each day. I kinda panicked because I didn't want Taylor to ruin our budding friendship. I was thinking, "They're not interested in the Book of Mormon and they're going to start bashing and all will be lost!" Obviously you can see who was wrong. They listened intently and we were able to leave them with a prayer. When we got outside to the car, we all just sat there quietly until Taylor was like, "Fellas. There's a lot more to Tom and Belinda then you think." I knew he was right. I felt it as he bore his witness. To make a long story short, Tom invited us over for Pizza on Saturday and we were there for 3 hours. We're hoping to start teaching the discussions with them next visit.
 
I certainly learned a few lessons from that visit. And you can count on Taylor going out with us more in the future. What a spiritually in-tune guy!
 
Man, time sure ran out quickly today! I'll be sure to send you a better email next week. And once again, I forgot pictures :(
 
Have a great week, loved ones! I think about you and pray for you often.
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. Congrats on your calling, Mom! You'll do great :)
 
P.P.S. I can't wait for conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment