Monday, May 14, 2012

May 14, 2012 - The day after mothers day....

Dear Family,
 
So what's new?? Haha just kidding :) Yesterday was the best day ever! What a blessing to be able to talk to my family. I hope that I didn't sound too weird and that I was able to say everything I was supposed to say. It just felt so good to hear your voices. Talking to April was a blast as well. She's doing awesome and I swear our phone call was 2 minutes long. Our conversation was very random, but it's because we had so much to say. April is so excited for me to serve in the wards of a lot of people she met in Kansas City. We're in the same temple district! For some reason that seems significant...
 
It's been kinda weird since I got my transfer call to be zone leader in Joplin. I thought that I would be super depressed, but I haven't been. Sure I'm a little bit sad, but I've realized that I'm just one of many elders that will ever come through Owasso. Many members here have their favorite missionaries from the past, but they're used to us coming and going. I've also come to realize that the missionary effort here is Elm Creek's missionary effort. The missionaries are here to teach and bring souls closer to Christ, but it's very much the ward's effort. We're just here to help. Lately, I've been asking families how we can help them in their missionary work. It's good to commit families to do hard things, but sometimes people just need us to be there to help them. All good members of the church should have their own mission plan and their own commitments to do hard things. Do the Atkin's have a mission plan? Do we think of our own hard things to do, or do we wait for the missionaries to give it to us? I don't say that to be mean, but I like the idea of us ALL being missionaries.
 
This week Elder Ivie and I plan to see as many people as possible. I might've mentioned to y'all the "blazin' challenge" that we made up. We want to sweep through Owasso and see as many people as we can in a short period of time. I've done things similar in the past, but we want to see everybody - members, less-actives, investigators, you name it. That way I can see everyone I want to see before I leave, and we can get in homes that we normally don't go in to. We're confident that it will be a few days with many miracles. Time to blaze Owasso! I want to leave this place on a high note.
 
Though Sis. Hanna doesn't want to see us anymore, she came to church yesterday. I actually was so happy to see her. We talked a little bit and then I informed her that I would be transferred. I could see the sadness in her eyes. She wants to be rebaptized so bad, and she wanted me to do it. I really hope that me leaving doesn't discourage her even more so she gives up. She's been doing so good! At times it seems impossible for her to come back into fellowship. She's faltered before. She's tried coming back like 5 times, but every time she'd fall short and go back to smoking. The paperwork must take a long time to process through Salt Lake City because Bishop Carroll has said that it will take months. I'm so sad! I hope that I can come back someday and see her as an endowed member of the church. She says that she'll never go back to the temple, but I know that the Spirit would work on her after her baptism. She'd totally go. I wish I knew more about these kind of things...
 
I haven't told David Britt that I'm leaving yet. I know he'll be sad! He's still struggling to come to church these days, but we've gained his trust. Not that Elder Ivie's a bad missionary, it's just that D Britt is my man. I know I'll come back someday and go fishin' and noodlin' and spoonbill snaggin'. Dad, you'd love him :) He wants to come to Utah again someday and go fishing in the mountain lakes and streams. He's the ULTIMATE fisherman. A lot of people in Oklahoma are that way. I was surprised at that. There are so many different kinds of fish out here, and they can get HUGE. Big ol' catfish. And I love fried catfish these days. Dad, do you go fishing much? I hope you know that we're going to go all the time when I get back home. Our mission president won't allow us!
 
I'm also sad to leave Tom and Belinda. As of late, they've made it a little more obvious that they're not interested. They're looking for a church, but not ours :( In the next couple of days we're going to go over and get a picture with them. I'm going to share my testimony and ask them to come to church one more time. I'm sure they'll listen because they'll miss me haha :) Jim still says he'll get to church one of these days, but he's getting closer. He told us this last week that he's been praying about it big time and that he's going to make a decision soon. I don't want to miss out on that! Darn...
 
Lately I've been studying the life of Christ more in depth. I try to imagine myself being in those situations where he healed the sick and performed miracles. To have been there when he cleansed the temple?!?! Epic!! I wouldn't want to get in his way. I'm excited to read more in the future. The scriptures are becoming more and more fun to read these days. Like Harry Potter. Only better!
 
Have a great week family! I love you so much and I can't wait to tell you about Joplin. Wish me luck!
 
Love, Elder Atkin

1 comment:

  1. Hey...Love this Elder! I have a letter here for Willie from Richie. He sent a letter for each of his HS buddies. Can you send me his address in Joplin, is it? Send it to albyfamily6@gmail.com. Our family wants to send him a quick letter also. Thanks for sharing him...I think all of Richie's emails are still going to Willie's email...williesmellosonfire or something like that. What a tremendous blessing to have two missionaries out. You are doing something right in your home. :)

    ReplyDelete