Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 28, 2012- Busy Busy


Dear Family,
 
Once again, I don't have a lot of time to email you. Sorry! It's like I said - we don't have library cards and there's four of us wanting to use some members' computers.
 
So what's up? How's life in North Carolina? And how's the job searching going, Rachel? I hope everything is well with the fam. I doing great here in Joplin. It's busy busy busy. To be quite honest, we've only made it to bed on time twice during my stay so far. There is so much going on! Not all of it is good, though. There's a lot of drama for us to deal with as zone leaders. We've already had to do an emergency exchange in the middle of the night because of some missionaries that hated each other. I was worried they were going to kill each other. We had a long talk and tried to work things out peacefully, but I just wanted to tell them to grow up. I haven't loved all of my companions equally so far on my mission, but at least I'm mature enough to just let things slide and try to get along with them. It's easier said than done, but I really don't think it's that hard. Just grow up!
 
Currently we have two investigators with baptismal dates in the Joplin 1st ward. Tom probably isn't going to make his date, but Amber is doing well. Her date is for the 16th of June. Her and her family (who is semi-active) came to church yesterday, so things are going well in that respect. Speaking of church - we've got 5 hours of church to go to these days. Don't get me wrong, I love church. But I was sure getting sleepy yesterday around 3:00. Elders quorum in the Webb City ward was soooooooooooo boooooooooooring. I tried to make comments so I wouldn't fall asleep. There are some really cool members out here though. Haha I tell people I'm from Utah and they tell me that they live in the REAL Zion. But in all seriousness, I truly believe that the Lord is gathering people in Missouri. With the temple dedication, the new stake center being built, and the recent tornado, a lot of people have interest in the church. We have tons and tons of referrals to sort through when we get the time in the future. So much is happening here! The only frustration though, is all the less-actives/non-members that say they'll come to church when the stake center is done in September. Excuses, excuses...
 
This past Tuesday was the Unity Walk (or something like that) in Joplin on the anniversary of the tornado. Most of the elders in our zone came in to Joplin so we could represent the church as "the walk" came past the stake center. We all wore suits even though it was like 90 degrees and really humid. I was dying! But it was still really cool though as us and hundreds of members clad in "Mormon Helping Hands" shirts welcomed the people participating in "the walk" with cheers and applause in front of the stake center. Thousands of people crammed in to watch a big ol' crane put the steeple on top of the stake center. When the steeple was set, everyone cheered and then moved on down the street. A lot of people asked us if they could take pictures of us in our suits. We were quite the sight :) It was a great missionary opportunity. We ended up walking the rest of the way to the hospital where there was a special program remembering those who died. It was so cool! It's my hope that the first Sunday the stake center is open that it will be packed to the brim and that I'll be there. That's the plan.
 
So. Life is good. I'm happy. I'm busy. The church is true! I love feeling the same spirit in whatever sacrament meeting I attend. I already love the members of both wards and I can't wait to teach all of their friends ;) Elder Quinn and I are already having a good time together. He thinks he'll leave this next transfer so I'm going to try and help him leave on a high note. I still don't know a lot about our investigators, the area, and such, but that will come with time.
 
Have a great week!
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. You should see downtown Joplin. It's so awesome! It's got that old town feel. There's a few big churches around here, but mostly there's just hundreds of small churches. Many of them non-denominational. Very religious community.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment