Monday, May 21, 2012

May 21, 2012 - Joplin


Dear Family,
 
I'm in Joplin! And I love it! So much has changed since last Monday. It seems like an eternity since I was in Owasso. It's been a little stressful with all of the changes, but I like change. I love Owasso so much, but I just needed something new. Elder Quinn is a super cool guy from South Jordan, Utah, and he's been in Joplin a long time now. We're already pals, and I'll be sure to get you pictures as soon as I can. I still don't have a card reader, but I'll be able to plug the camera into the computer here. Before I forget, here's my new address:
 
4050 Azalea Ln. Apt. F
Joplin, MO 64801
 
We live in a pretty nice duplex in Duquesne - a town just outside of Joplin. It's right next to the path of destruction from the tornado last year. The destruction is still pretty obvious around here. Most everything is cleaned up, but there's quite a clear-cut path. Trees are mostly gone and houses are starting to be built, but right outside of the path are tons of trees and many houses. Everyone tells me that in the path of the tornado everything was destroyed, but right outside barely anything was touched. Crazy! I've already heard a few stories, but I'm sure i'll hear a few more. Did you know that the hospital (St. John's) was literally picked up and turned a few degrees? It's a huge, multi-story concrete building! I don't know if that's true, but I've already heard it a couple of times. The Stake Center is still in the process of being built, but it should be done by September. Hopefully I'll be here for the opening. Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the tornado and they're putting the steeple on top as part of a city-wide event. It'll be an awesome missionary opportunity. I'm stoked! There is SO much going on here. I've been busy ever since the minute I got here.
 
I told you that I covered 3 wards last Sunday, but now we only cover two: Joplin 1st and Webb City. We originally covered 2nd ward, but they just put in Elder Pope and Elder Lund here. The 2nd ward has been praying for missionaries for about a year now, and they finally got them. Haha I'm pretty sure Elder Pope and Elder Lund are heroes right now :) We went to their ward with them yesterday for a confirmation, and everyone was so happy to see them. Do you know what's crazy? While the stake center is being built, the 2nd ward meets in the local Community of Christ building and the 1st ward meets in the Carthage building. It was really interesting to have sacrament meeting in an RLDS chapel, but the spirit was still there. I guess the 2nd ward is already used to it.
 
Being zone leader isn't all that it's hyped up to be, but it's still good. Our phone is ringing constantly, and we've already dealt with a lot of drama in my stay here. The church is still true though, and there's a lot more great people. Yesterday I met a family who were originally from Cache Valley. It was fun to talk about Logan and Gossners and such. I heard that Gossners was bought by Schreiber. Is that true? It was strange to pass by a Schreiber the other day. I can't believe I worked in that place...
 
I wish I had more time to tell y'all everything, but I don't. We don't have library cards because we don't technically live in Joplin, so we use a member's computer. Hopefully we'll get more time next Monday. I just hope you know that I love it here in Joplin, I love being busy, I love hearing tornado stories, I love Elder Quinn, and I love the gospel. I'm doing quite fine.
 
Happy birthday to Dad! And happy anniversary on Sunday! Thanks for being awesome. Pray that I'll be able to bear the load of being a zone leader. I'm so lost and uninformed these days. But it's all good :)
 
Talk to ya later!
 
Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment