Tuesday, September 18, 2012

September 17, 2012 - Tender mercies!

Dear Family,

Thanks so much for the picture of the Wellsville Mountains! That, my friends, is the definition of a tender mercy :) It's hard for me to believe that mountains even exist anymore. The tallest things around here are water towers. You know how in Utah every town on the bench has it's high school's initials painted onto the mountain side? They do that same thing here, but on the water towers. I just think it's kind of funny.

Speaking of tender mercies, Elder Nordine and I had a huge miracle this week. Remember Ashley? And remember how she basically dropped us? We're teaching her again. Surprise, surprise! We had told Ashley that we were going to back off and that if she needed anything to call us, but I thought that was the end of it. She was just reading way too much anti and she didn't really have a desire to learn from us. I thought it was over. But out of nowhere, on Monday she gave us a call right before we left to go to Tulsa for ZLC. I answered the phone, mostly expecting her to quote something from the Journal of Discourses or something. But instead she informed me that due to much thought and prayer recently, she had come to the conclusion that she needed to make a decision and stick to it. When I asked her what her decision was, she simply replied, "I pick you guys." After about a whole minute of whoopin' and hollerin', I was able to calm myself down enough to chat with her and ask why she had made that decision. She didn't give me a straight up answer, but she told me that despite our differences in opinion, no other church had ever reached out to her in the same way we did. Ashley simply couldn't get over the fact that no matter where she was at, we'd be there for her and we cared about her. She was amazed that we wouldn't give up on her. I couldn't help but feel really good about myself at that moment. Aren't we so awesome!?? Or rather, isn't the church we belong to so awesome!?? It's only fitting that Christ's true church has 50,000+ missionaries that not only teach about the Gospel, but reach out and befriend individuals who are struggling. Let's not forget the general populous of members, though. Y'all can give yourselves a pat on the back for engaging in such acts as Visiting and Home Teaching, as well as donating offerings to help those who are in need. The overall help that we give to the world is absolutely unmatched. These are the moments when I start humming the tune of "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" to myself.

So yeah, Ashley's back on the radar. She admitted to us that she had only half-heartedly investigated the church (as well as other churches) over the past few months. She knew she needed to change, but she wasn't really sticking to something. She mentioned to me over the phone that she couldn't stop thinking about what I had told her before she dropped us. I said quite bluntly that if ours wasn't the true church of Jesus Christ, that she needed to keep on looking for the rest of her life. I was serious! If ours is not it, then she needs to move on and make it a life quest to find it. Because it's here. And the scriptures say that too many times to deny it. Anyway, she agreed to meet us on Friday and talk about things. I ended up taking Elder Park with me because we were on exchanges. We had an amazing lesson with Ashley as we helped her understand some of our doctrines and why we believe what we believe. At the end of the lesson, we committed her to have a sort of "trial run" with us for the next 3 weeks. I told her that if she studied and prayed daily, attended church with us, didn't look at any anti, and kept our commitments for 3 weeks, she'd find an answer and know if it all was true or not. She accepted the challenge. So here we are now, 3 days later and still right on track. Ashley came to Stake Conference yesterday (she thought it was boring, but good) and we had a lesson at the church afterward. We were very surprised when she informed us that she wanted to pay tithing and receive of those promised blessings (Malachi 3). After we taught her about that principle, we gave her a priesthood blessing to help her overcome her smoking addiction. She really liked the blessing that we gave her, and she promised to try her best to quit. Elder Nordine and I are going to meet with her tomorrow and see where she's at. I can tell that the Spirit is really softening her heart! Please pray for Ashley! I know she can quit.

Besides Ashley, our area is slowly gaining momentum. We met with Kim Still for the first time in a couple of months on Wednesday. This is the 2nd miracle of the week. Get this - we show up, expecting to teach just her and her son Branden. As we walked up to the front porch, we were greeted by 5 people (3 of which I'd never met). I reached for my backpack, expecting a Bible Bash to commence, but soon relaxed as I noticed Gospel Principle manuals, Book of Mormons, and Bibles scattered across the table. Elder Nordine and I joined the circle of people around the table. We started the usual small-talk, but Kim quickly cut us off. She then looked me in the eyes and exclaimed, "I want to be baptized and go to the temple. So does Branden. So does Dustin, my boyfriend. I'm not sure about Pete and Bree here, but that's the plan. And I know that I need to marry Dustin first and he needs to quit smoking (Dustin nods in agreement), but we can do that. I just want to get baptized!" My jaw hit the ground. Bree then piped in and said she wanted to be baptized too. My head started spinning. We asked Pete if that was his plan also, but he said not yet. He did say that he wanted to learn, though. Isn't that crazy!? Elder Nordine and I then fumbled through a quick Restoration lesson, but everyone already knew the answers. Kim then told us that they'd been watching the "Mormon Channel" for years and they study out of the Gospel Principles manual daily as a group. I about fainted! Here were a bunch of people that I had barely met before and thought weren't interested. Now they want to go to the new church in Joplin and be a forever family. I was blown away. I'll be sure to update you on that one in the future.

Guess what? I just finished the Book of Mormon again this morning! I've been reading it kind of slow over the past few months because I'm reading a lot of other things, but either way it feels good to finish it again. Our zone has set a goal to read the Book of Mormon all at the same time in 3 months (2 transfers), so that'll be good. Oh yeah, we had transfer calls on Saturday. I'm staying in Joplin for at least another transfer with Elder Nordine! Golly, didn't that come quick?? Time is really flying by...

Have a great week, everyone! Go hike a mountain for me :)

Love, Elder Atkin

P.S. I heard about the BYU-Utah game. Sad day :( Oh well. Go Cougars!
P.P.S. We received a referral the other day for a lady who found out she's a direct descendant of David Whitmer and she's never read the Book of Mormon. We went over to her house and she's super nice! Hopefully we can start teaching her as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment