Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September 5, 2012

Dear Family,

Sorry you didn't get an email from me on Monday. I'm sure by now you've figured out that we couldn't email because it was Labor Day. We also couldn't email yesterday because we had a zone conference down in Arkansas. I wasn't too sad because we had Elder Choi of the 70 come and instruct us. The perks of being a missionary :)

The zone conference - or "mission tour" - was combined with the Rogers zone so that's why it was in Arkansas. We left early in the morning so we could get there by 9:00. It was so awesome! It didn't really hit me until I walked in the Rogers stake center that we were going to be instructed by a General Authority. It ended up being one of the best zone conferences of my mission. I was expecting Elder Choi to be very serious and intimidating, but he was actually very funny, loving, and spiritually uplifting. Him and his wife didn't bring any notes so I could tell that they were just teaching us by the spirit. Though it was hard to understand Elder Choi at times (he's from Korea), the Spirit was so strong. He talked to us about faith and how the Gospel is "delicious" (Alma 32). He also instructed us on planning for the future and how we should be ready to turn our plans over to the Lord's plans. He related his own experiences with schooling and business and that each of those plans ended up preparing him for accepting the Lord's plans in callings and service. Being a successful businessman prepared him for later taking care of church finances. My favorite quote from the whole entire meeting was this: "These two years are the best time of your life to prepare to be trusted." It's Elder Choi's hope that we prepare to be trusted by our friends, families, spouses, and ultimately our Heavenly Father. Am I learning how to be trusted after my mission? It's a great question.

As I mentioned, Elder and Sister Choi were very funny. At random intervals throughout the meeting, Elder Choi would call his wife up to stand next to him and speak. The first time he asked her to stand up and tell us why she picked him for a husband. It was hilarious! She said that the only reason why she picked him wasn't for his looks, but for his work-ethic and his testimony. She then said that after all these years he's finally somewhat handsome :) Haha they were just so cute together. I just loved sitting there in the chapel and taking notes for most of the day. They had so many good things to say. As I've said in the past, there's nothing like a zone meeting to get me pumped to share the gospel! Elder and Sister Choi repeatedly mentioned how "shiny" we all were. They told us that we had light in our eyes and that we glowed with brightness. They also told us to never let that light diminish. People will see the light in our eyes and our shiny countenances. I felt super special... and shiny :) I was thinking about it afterward and I came to the conclusion that as members of the Lord's church, we all are entitled to that light in our eyes and the shining faces. We shouldn't ever do anything that would take that light away from us.

Recently I've been reading in Mormon and in Ether in the Book of Mormon. It's been interesting to read about how quickly people forgot the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The book of 4 Nephi is a short one, but it perfectly shows how a group of people fall into apostasy. While it is sad to read about people rejecting the prophets and the "pride cycle," it's taught me a lot about staying strong in the midst of wickedness. There's no way to beat around the bush on this one, folks: we live in a wicked world that is increasingly "dwindling in unbelief." We shouldn't get all depressed about it, but it's important that we stay sharp. Sharp like Mormon and his son, Moroni. Moroni was all alone with blood-thirsty Lamanites constantly battling each other and trying to hunt him down. And yet he was still able to put together the last few books in the Book of Mormon and teach us some awesome principles. I always feel so sad for Moroni. He must've been so lonely :( But he knew what was true and it gave him strength. As we live in these latter-days, we may feel lonely ourselves. There's much to be afraid about. But it's becoming more and more clear to me what strength the Gospel and the Book of Mormon provides. That's why it's SO important! There's my sermon for the day...

Gosh, I didn't leave much time to talk about our area. Things are going well. Alexis is ready for this Saturday and we couldn't be happier! Her cousin is baptizing her for his very first time as a priest. Cool stuff :) Ashley had to cancel on us this last week, but we're meeting with her tomorrow. I'm anxious to see what happens. We've been doing a lot more finding lately, and we sure have a lot of potential investigators, so I'm excited to see things pick up around here. We've been in somewhat of a dry spell lately. But not when it comes to actual rain (haha). It's dumped rain within the past 2 weeks. Everything is green once again.

Have a great week! Thanks for your support and your emails. I love you!

Love, Elder Atkin

P.S. Go Cougars!

No comments:

Post a Comment