Monday, May 6, 2013

Great week!

Dear Family,
 
Today is my 22 month mark. It's only fitting that it's cloudy outside and threatening to rain. :( If any elder or sister ever tells you that they don't know how long they've been out on their mission they're lying. They're probably just trying to look all righteous and stuff. But whether they're really excited to go home or not, deep down inside they know their missionary age. I try not to pay attention to it, but the 6th of every month hits me harder and harder. It's absolutely suffocating! I think I need to refresh myself with "Always in the Middle" by Deiter F. Uchtdorf. Y'all sent me that like a year ago, but I need to read it again.
 
This week was overall a good one. We picked up 2 new investigators and our lesson total keeps increasing. It's tough work to build up a teaching pool, but I've come to the realization that it's one of my favorite things to do. I started fresh in Willard and now I'm doing it here. Hitting the pavement, knocking doors, and doing the "nitty gritty" is such a joy to me. I feel the most like a missionary when I'm doing it the old fashioned way. Elder H sighs every time I tell him that we should go tracting, but he'll thank me someday. I didn't quite get that luxury at the beginning of my mission.
 
Yesterday we had some plans fall through last minute before church so once again I asked Elder H if we could go tracting. As always he rolled his eyes, let out a long breath of air, and reluctantly agreed. I love my son :) We jumped in the car after saying a prayer and went to find some good apartments. After driving around for a bit, I saw a set of apartments that I felt good about. We got out and began knocking. After a few doors we came across a 19-year-old guy named Austin. When he said his name, Elder H beamed from ear to ear and proudly said that was the name of his hometown. He's such a Texas boy. As we got talking with Austin, he let us know that he didn't know what to believe because of all of the different churches and beliefs out in the world. In fact, he's so confused that he's starting to believe in reincarnation because his friend believes it and he thought it sounded cool. We taught him about the Book of Mormon and some of the basic beliefs of the church and he responded positively. He wasn't jumpin' for joy or anything, but he did agree for a return appointment on Tuesday. He seems pretty solid. And the great thing about being in a YSA is that I invited him to come play hoops at the church with everybody. He smiled and said that he'd love to come "school" us. Cool guy.
 
Another miracle that happened this week came on Wednesday night while I was on exchanges with Elder Prestwich. I was calling Josh - our dinner appointment for the next day. Right as he answered the phone he basically said this, "Elders, are you kidding me? I was just thinking of you when you called. I have a friend here on the other line that is going through trials and wants to find God. You couldn't have called at a more exact and critical moment. Here, listen to our conversation and don't say a word..." I about peed my pants in excitement! We listened carefully as Josh's friend explained that she was down in the dumps and knew that he of all people could help. She noticed that he came back from his mission a different man and wanted that for herself. Josh handled it like a champ and testified that the Gospel could save her life and that he knew two missionaries that could help her find meaning in life and feel close to God. Boom - we taught her the next day at the church :) It was a wonderful lesson and she wants to learn more. Miracles!
 
I realize that I'm about out of time and that I haven't even updated you on Steven yet, but that's okay. I'll tell you more about it on Sunday, but just know that a lot can happen in one week. And that includes seeing Steven a couple of times and realizing that Steven might not quite be ready for the gospel yet. I'm sure you're thinking, "But Elder Atkin, what happened???" Don't worry, we're quite content with this. Neither party can deny the miraculous way we found Steven, but let us not forget that people have agency and that drugs and alcohol can really mess up a lot of stuff. We're not done with Steven - and neither is he with us - but we're going to lay low for a bit. Trust me, we feel good about it. Like I said, I'll tell you more later.
 
This work is the Lord's work, not mine. I know that he's with us and loves us. I don't ever want to lose the urgency and fire that I feel right now. I hope y'all feel the same way about the Gospel as I do. Stay strong and choose the right. Talk to you soon.
 
Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment