Monday, May 20, 2013

Quick week

Dear Family,
 
Happy Birthday, Dad!! One year older and wiser too, huh? Love ya, man :)
 
This week was full of little miracles. We talked to some of the neatest people I've ever met in my life. The thing that really made a difference was me making the effort to go out of my way to talk to people that I normally wouldn't have talked to. Y'all know how much of a door-knocking guy I am. It's what I do. It's surprised me to realize how many of God's children I pass each day without so much as a "hi" or a wave. I try to be friendly and I say hello and wave when I'm thinking about it, but I miss out on so many opportunities. It usually comes from me saying, "Oh, they're busy," or, "they probably would reject me." I then drive, bike, or walk right by them. I'm such a whimp. I still have so much to learn.
 

Yesterday we were biking the streets of downtown Bentonville after an appointment fell through. The town was a little more quiet than usual and we had stopped at a little park to take a break. While I was trying to figure out where to go next - probably to tract - I looked across the street and saw a man sitting in front of the library. He had his laptop out and had his headphones on. Once again the thought came, "He must be very involved in whatever he's doing on the computer. Don't mind him." But as the thought came I got a little mad at myself. Satan would love for me to just skip over this guy. I decided it was time to change. Without telling Elder H what I was doing I headed across the street and up to this man. What started out as a simple interaction about directions to Memorial Park (which I didn't need, by the way. Just an ice-breaker) led to a 2 hour in-depth conversation with one of the coolest people. His name is Javier and he's originally from Mexico. He's lived in a few different states, but is now here in Arkansas because most people from his hometown in Mexico seem to congregate here of all places. He has a job at Memorial Park, probably as some type of groundskeeper. Javier's English is excellent and he is in love with learning - learning about anything and everything. He's quite brilliant. He spends hours everyday just listening to motivational speakers and self-help lectures. He's all about psycology and philosophy. He knows his history and he studies the lives of the greatest people to have ever walked the earth. Overall he's just a very intellectual person who seems to "get it." He loves people and doesn't judge people wrongly. I learned so much in our seemingly short interchange and we plan on talking again soon. He let us know he wasn't really interested in our message, but respected us. We'll work on him :)
 
I guess the reason why I mentioned this guy is 1) because we were blessed for going out of the way to talk to people and 2) because he was the perfect example of many things I've learned on my mission that don't necessarily have to do with faith, but most definitely are connected. Things like emotional intelligence, the power of decisions, understanding that each of God's children have something to offer, broadening our "belief window" in the right ways, removing barriers that would prevent simple and positive interaction, and so forth. 2 years ago I thought that I would only learn things strictly having to do with the scriptures. Now I realize that each day I learn a lot about myself, other people, society, and how the human mind works. And yet it does all connect back to faith. God's purposes and plans are all based on people.
 
So anyway. Back to missionary work :) We picked up this really neat new investigator named Joe yesterday. He's a religion major at a local school and really wanted to meet with us. The zone leaders found him while walking in downtown Rogers the other day. The 4 of us met with him last night and taught most of the first lesson. The lesson flowed very well because Joe already has such a great understanding of the scriptures and has an open mind. By the end he was asking if we could give him the priesthood right there. We told him he had to wait and that we could prepare him if he wanted us to. Cool, huh! I was initially a little apprehensive of this guy because of his field of study, but I think that he's really interested. Should be legit.
 
Yesterday had to have been one of the best days of my mission. It was comparable to April 7th last year when April gave the young women from my ward in Owasso the tour of the VC. You see, this weekend there was a big YSA conference down in Springdale. It was all capped off with a combined sacrament meeting helf yesterday morning in which YSAs from many of the surrounding states packed into the chapel. Naturally Elder H and I attended because Springdale is like 20 minutes away and it would be our sacrament meeting for the week. I wouldn't have expected what happened as I walked into the building.
 
Walking into the chapel, I looked up on the stand. To my surprise there sat the Joplin YSA branch - including many people that I knew and loved from my time spent there. A few of them ran down to greet me. The two guys who were responsible for my broken pinkie came up and asked how it was doing. I laughed. Amanda and Emily took pictures with me and sent them to their families. What meant the most was hearing that they all missed me and that I was their favorite. I almost cried big ol' tears! I kept shaking their hands and thanking them. I was speachless. Afterward I saw other YSAs I knew from Willard and even Owasso. It was like one big reunion.
 
But the ultimate "cherry on top" came after the sacrament meeting was over and I had said all my goodbyes to people from my last 3 areas. Inside the chapel the Springdale wards were filing in for a combined sacrament meeting. I began to see families and individuals that I knew and loved from almost 2 years previous in my first area - Springdale 1st ward. The Hornbergers, the Penningtons, the Smiths, the Lindseys (sitting on the back row like they normally do), and ...... my heart skipped a beat ...... Nichole Munts. I nearly ran across the room to greet the 2nd person I taught and baptized on my mission. So many emotions flooded over. She said hi like I had never left! We quickly exchanged info and I promised to write a letter. Words can't express how happy I was to see this wonderful woman inside the church building where it all started.
 
You know, sometimes I get discouraged. Discouraged because I hear that some of my recent converts are less-active/inactive. It's like a punch to the face knowing that you taught them and then the ward didn't take care of them or they simply chose to stop going. It's so hard to join the church. But just seeing Nichole yesterday made all the difference. I'll never forget the adversity she went through to join the church. To think that she's still got a testimony in there is beyond encouraging. I could ramble about this forever. Let's just say the Lord is good.
 
So yesterday was special. I'll never forget the unplanned and unexpected reunion of sorts that happened on May 19th. Heavenly Father dropped a huge tender mercy right in my lap. And I sure love him for it! This work is true. I'm still doing great. Next week should be killer (as in awesome). See you soon.
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. Here's a picture of me chillin' in downtown Rogers. I love the old murals and paintings that are done in old towns like this and these brick walls make a great picture.
P.P.S. By the way, transfer calls were on Saturday and I'm not moving. I'll finish training my son and get 'er dun.

No comments:

Post a Comment