Monday, March 12, 2012

March 12, 2012 - Time to be BOLD!

Dear Family,
 
Less than 3 weeks until General Conference!! WOOHOO!!! I flippin' can't wait until I can hear from our prophet. I think that sometimes I forget that we actually have a prophet of God on the earth. It's like, "Yeah, yeah. Thomas S. Monson is the prophet. That's cool. Blah blah." But right now I'm like, "Holy catfish we have a prophet on the earth that not only recieves revelation for us, but for the whole world!!" So, yeah. I'm pumped.
 
Mom, I agree with you. When it comes to severe weather, I think I'm more worried about my stuff than myself. I know, that's horrible, but I really haven't faced anything yet to make me worried. We have a plan in place for all types of weather, so I feel safe. Besides, all of the crazy weather that has happened so far has come in the night when I'm asleep. And when I'm asleep, I'm ASLEEP. That's one thing I'm thankful for on my mission so far is that I can fall asleep in an instant and get a good night's rest. Elder Ivie is totally the opposite - even the littlest breeze against our window keeps him up. That, and I snore a little bit haha :)
 
So. Life is great! El Diablo is trying real hard to get me in a bad mood as of late, but I ain't lettin' him. The lack of investigators, referrals, appointments, etc. frustrates me, but I'm pretty much used to it now. It's kinda bad though, because I'm getting tempted to do dumb things to get investigators. I won't tell you the list, but don't worry - I wouldn't be breaking rules. Also, Elder Ivie is pretty much out of money for the month already, so he's kinda mooching off my food right now. We both can't figure out where it all went, but either way he's in trouble. The only thing I can do is let him eat my food so he doesn't starve. No more stops at QuikTrip for food until April. Well, at least for him...
 
No, we didn't get 20 lessons a week :( But hey, we got 16!! It's kinda funny how we complain if we don't make it to 20, yet 2 months ago 5 lessons was a great week. Not to brag or anything, but the whole Tulsa East Zone/Stake has caught onto Elder Jensen, Bishop, and I's idea. They are now collecting active member lessons (AMLs) as an indicator! Thank you, thank you *cheering**clapping*. Haha jk :) But really, our stake president believes that as we consistently get 20 (as a zone/stake), we'll get baptisms. Sorry, you're probably getting tired of hearing this, but it's the hot topic around here.
 
We met with Tom and Belinda again this week on Saturday. I went to Walmart and bought him a big Coke because I couldn't guess a riddle right (Tom loves puns and riddles) when we ate pizza the last Saturday. He wasn't expecting me to actually do it, so he was really surprised. It wasn't that big of a deal, but I told Tom that a deal's a deal, and that Elder Atkin always follows through, even if it was a joke. But on the bummer side of things, we weren't able to teach a lesson because Tom was really tired and really out of it. Belinda was there, and we had a great visit, but we were hoping to lay it all on the table and commit them to baptism. We'll get 'er done this week!
 
On Saturday, we met with Deb and Branden to reset his baptismal date and teach about the Plan of Salvation. Since Branden is young, we're breaking the lessons up into pieces and making sure he understands. We taught Branden part 1 of the P.O.S. (pre-earth life to earth life), and had Bro. Johnson share some of his thoughts as well. The good news is that we reset his date successfully to the 14th of April! But the bad news is that they didn't show up at church, despite us committing them like 4 times to come. Golly I just want to pull out my hair sometimes! We try so hard to get someone to church so they can feel the spirit and recieve revelation and meet members and be taught and and and..... They don't come because they "feel sick" or they have to go somewhere to see somebody and do something important. YOUR ETERNAL SALVATION IS IMPORTANT, DEB. It's pretty much impossible to get Branden to church without Deb, so that's what's frustrating. Branden's all for going to primary and being baptized, he just needs that support. Sheesh... I'm getting tired of Bro. Moe (gospel principles teacher) nagging us for not having an investigator at church. Well, Bro. Moe, give us a referral then.
 
Sorry if this email is dumb. I really don't beg members to give us a referral and such. I'm trying my hardest just to teach by the spirit and help members feel good about missionary work. It's a constant, epic battle.
 
But despite my frustrations, church was as good as always. I felt the spirit big time and my testimony meter was filled to the brim. It feels so stinkin' good!!
 
I know that the Gospel is true. The Plan of Redemption is very real and it is for everybody, young and old. I love the prophet Joseph Smith with all my heart and I feel the power of the first vision more and more each day. I love you so much! Have a great week!
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. Here's some pictures Mommy. The first one is of my main man Elder Ivie and I, sitting on the Mitchell's couch. The 2nd one is of a sweet planner cover I made out of an Arizona Mucho Mango drink. Thirdly, it's springtime in Owasso! Though I do wish I could see the beautiful Wellsville Mountains with their glistening snow...
 
Elder Ivie and Elder Atkin


Spring time in Owasso

No comments:

Post a Comment