Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 19, 2012- I'm swimming!

Dear Family,
 
Oh man, as of this past week, the weather has really warmed up and it's gotten really humid. I feel like I'm floating in water! Haha jk ;) Today it is raining and it kinda stinks outside. I don't really know why... Owasso doesn't usually stink quite like Springdale did. I'm sure I already told you this, but Springdale had quite the interesting smells because of all the Tyson and Cargill plants (chicken and turkey and such). What's funnier though, is that it would smell different for each of the 7 days of the week. One day it would be a good chicken smell - like fried chicken. But then the next it would smell like rotting chicken carcasses. Yuck.
 
Well anyways, it's been a great week! Mom, that positive, hard working spirit that you asked about is sure working hard and is positive (most of the time). I love the work and the people, and Owasso has become home for me. Of course, I don't always feel accepted, but that's all part of the job. You're right - our battles with Satan are more real than a lot of things. Satan will do anything to stop the work. But I love the quote by Joseph Smith, "The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work... the truth of God will go forth boldy, nobly, and independent..." I remember memorizing that in my mission prep class at BYU and I repeat to myself whenever times seem tough. Lucifer can do everything he can to stop the work from progressing, but it certainly will still progress. The Lord knows who's ready for His message.
 
We picked up a new investigator this week! Her name is Paige (I'm trying to remember if I've mentioned her to you before. She's friends with Chevi - who wanted us to bless her home) In the past we've helped Paige move into her apartment and we painted it too (I found out that I'm no good at painting. My clothes got absolutely covered in paint!) While we did service for her, she mentioned that she wanted to know Jesus Christ a little more. It seemed important to her. So Elder Ivie and I dropped by her place on Tuesday just to see how she was doing and to see if she was interested. We ended up having a really spiritual conversation about prayer and Heavenly Father's love for us. Paige is a single mom, so she has plenty of problems. But she is very prayerful. She loves the comfort that she feels and knows that God has always been there for her. I felt prompted to share 2 Ne. 32:8-9, which talks about the Spirit teaching us to pray and the Devil teaching us not to pray. Paige really identified with that scripture, and her curiosity in the Book of Mormon grew. She then asked us, "Do you guys, like, have a copy of the Book of Mormon I could have. For free?" And we were like, "Uh... YES." And she was like, "And can you come teach me about the Book of Mormon more in the future?" And we were like, "Uh... BIGGER YES." (haha we didn't really say that) We're meeting with Paige tonight at 7:00. Wish us luck!
 
Yesterday we brought Bro. Kennedy and his daughter over to meet Tom and Belinda. Bro. Kennedy felt that he should meet them because they sounded awesome and they were right down the street from him. As always, they were happy to let us in and they immediately love the Kennedys as well. Tom was sharing his usual riddles and puns (which I totally love. I almost literally DIE from laughter when we go over to their place), and we had some nice small-talk for a while. We were getting close to leaving when Bro. Kennedy piped up and asked them to come to one of our church services in the future. Tom said that eventually they might because of how nice we've been, but he started saying that we don't agree with some of the simple fundamentals of the gospel. He shared his usual scripture in 1 Timothy about God coming down in the flesh to save us all, and he asked us how we could believe in 3 seperate individuals (the Godhead). We tried to explain things, but were getting nowhere. But before things got heated, Bro. Kennedy decided to share with Tom and Belinda his conversion story. It was basically like, "We may believe in many different things than you, but let me tell you why I'm Mormon." Bro. Kennedy went on to share one of the most beautiful, spiritual conversion stories I've ever heard. The spirit was so strong that everyone was close to tears (well, Bro. Kennedy was already crying). The spirit was able to testify to me that what he was saying was true, and I know that Tom and Belinda felt it too. I looked at them afterwards, and they both looked like they had been hit in the face with a baseball bat. Afterwards, we talked as if nothing happened, but hopefully the big fat seeds we planted will grow.

Time out! I am now in Best Buy about an hour after the power went out in the library. All of the computers shut down and I only had like 10 minutes left. Lame! Right when I was getting to the good part in Tom and Belinda's story... Oh well, I'll tell you more later. I can't stay on here forever.

Have a great week! Hugs and kisses (okay maybe not kisses. Gross!)

Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment