Monday, March 26, 2012

March 26, 2012- Uhh.. No subject

Dear Family,
 
Hopefully the power doesn't go out again this week. That was kinda frustrating last week. But it is nice and sunny and beautiful today, so I'm not worried. But ya never know in Oklahoma! This past week we got so much rain. It just dumped and dumped until the latter part of the week. The ground is still soggy, but everything is really turning green. I love it! I have to enjoy it while I can, because I have a feeling that it's going to be another hot, humid, and ugly summer. Hooray!
 
Well, transfer calls are coming up this week again. Transfers are getting shorter and shorter. I seriously feel like I just got Elder Ivie yesterday. We've sure had a fun time. I'm so greatful to get a fun companion after Elder Jensen. As you all know I loved Elder Jensen to pieces. It would've been hard to get a companion that I didn't get along with. But not to brag or anything, I think I'm learning how to get along with most elders now. I've really learned how to just accept elders how they are and not let our differences get between us. It's such a short mission, ya know? I'm determined to not let companionship drama effect me in the future. It's sure easier said then done, though...
 
Sad news: That new investigator that I was so pumped about? Not so solid. I don't think Paige hates us, but we just haven't been able to get in contact with her. We've literally tried multiple times each day this last week. She might be avoiding us. I'm afraid she got anti'd! We had our appointment with her on Monday, in which the Mawbys agreed to go with us. You have to know that the Mawby family is that perfect cookie-cutter Mormon family that we always joke about. So when we showed up to Paige's ghetto apartment in old Owasso, I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw them tense up. We knocked on the front door, and Paige answered. Smoke immediately billowed out into our faces, and Paige greeted us with a beer in hand. A couple of her friends (including Jimmy - her child's father) were inside smoking and drinking. Paige was surprised that we came and claimed that she didn't think we'd come since it was raining. It was like, "Duh. Of course we're going to come. We have coats. This is about your salvation. It's that important." I didn't really say that, but I just get frustrated with excuses. Paige then said that it was a bad time because they were celebrating. Jimmy greeted us and about fell on top of me because of how drunk he was. To make a long story short, we said we'd call the next day to set up an appointment, and she hasn't answered since. I'm worried I did something wrong! Could it be that we scared her off by bringing members with us for our first appointment? We're still trying every day.
 
Good news: We met with Jim on Wednesday. He's not really progressing in the gospel right now, but I think he's been able to recognize the spirit prompting him to go to church for the first time in his decades of investigating. I'm still convinced that if he comes to sacrament meeting, he'll receive the confirmation he's been waiting for. He's told us a couple of times now that he's really been thinking about coming one of these days. Of course, so many people say "one of these days" all the time to my face, but I can tell that Jim's been pondering on it. He likes how we aren't pushing him like we have in the past, and I think that's been a big help. Ya know, sometimes you have to be bold and invite people. But sometimes you have to let the spirit do it's job and just encourage them. I'll keep you updated.
 
Bad news: We weren't able to meet with Tom & Belinda this week as planned. We want to teach them so bad! But it's not really that bad of news, because they just weren't home when we went over. They'd have us over any time. I just think it's bad because I love 'em to death. Also, David has been slipping a little bit as of late. He was doing so good! He missed church last week and he left early this week. I was so bummed. He might be having some of the same concerns/frustrations as in times past, but I hope he still has his goals for the temple and the priesthood. We're going to try and see him as much as we can. He can't stop now!
 
More good news: Have I told you about Sis. Hanna? I can't remember... I'll tell you anyways :) Sis. Hanna is a former member of the church that we've been working with. Yeah, you hear me right - former member. Years ago she removed her records because of pressure from her anti husband and such. She told everyone that she'd be back, but a lot of people forgot about her. She's in her 70's now, and she has a lot of emotional problems. She bawled her eyes out when Bro. Gaylord first referred her to us, but she's been doing a lot better since. We visit with her regularly and we made a deal with her that we'd call her every morning at 9:00 if she'd quit smoking and quit coffee. Well, I'm happy to report that she has! For 2 weeks now! She's been to church 2 times in a row now, and she doesn't plan on stopping. She wants to be re-baptized, but we all know that it won't be as easy this time. I'm still trying to get a hold of Bishop Carroll so I'll know what has to happen for her to be baptized again. I hope she can! She's one of my favorite people right now!
 
Well, it's good to hear from y'all and to hear about all the things happening back home. Mom, I totally want one of your famous cookies! (hint hint) haha jk :) That's so cool that someone knew me in Joplin! Boy, I wish I knew who that was. And that story about Frank's friend - awesome! The church is so true, my friends.
 
Have a great week and good luck in everything.
 
Love, Elder Atkin
 
P.S. I am fascinated by skyscrapers and big cities. Tulsa isn't huge, and it doesn't have a ton of skyscrapers, but I still had to take the opportunity to take some pictures when we passed by the other day. Surprisingly, it's very quiet in downtown during the day. Not too much going on. Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment