Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14, 2013 - Snow!

Dear Family,

Guess what? It snowed! After a long day of freezing rain and sleet, it finally snowed on Saturday night. Of course, it was only a skiff, but I sure was a happy camper. I miss puttin' on some boots and trudging through a foot or more of the white stuff. But on the other hand, it was pretty cool to see freezing rain. Everything was covered in ice the next day. It was awesome because Sunday was a clear day so the sun was shining and everything sparkled. As we would walk down the streets, I would sometimes kick weeds or grab tree branches because they would break off like it was nothing. Neat!

The finger is doing well. It hasn't hurt at all recently and I'm looking forward to getting a smaller splint or cast later this week when I go in for a checkup. I've really been taken care of, in fact sometimes I'm kind of embarrassed at how much people have taken care of me for just a pinkie. I'm sure Elder Richards is tired of hearing me explain time and time again what happened to my finger. He's such a great companion :) He'll just patiently sit off the side and smile while people flock around me at church and demand a detailed story. I always apologize afterward to Elder Richards. "Sorry, Elder... I... they.... the pinkie.... yeah...." I hope Elder Richards doesn't hate my guts. He seems like the type of guy that could really be bugged by something but just hold it in because he's too nice.

Well, transfer calls are coming up this Saturday. As always, I'm a bit nervous. Who knows what will happen! I have a feeling that I might finally be done here in Joplin, but I've already said that 3 times before. I could see Elder Richards and I staying together 1 more. Either way, it will be hard to leave. There's a lot of great things happening right now in our area. I'm motivated more than ever before, which is a good thing. Elder Richards and I have been working so extremely hard lately that I don't want to miss out on the fruits of our labors.

This week we had some great success from tracting. We met this really nice Native American family as we knocked doors near Erin and Ruben's place. Haha it was so funny because as we walked up to the door, one of the sons who is 18 woke up from a nap on the couch and saw us out the screen door. He kind of flipped out and ran calling for his mom. Come to find out later, he thought we were the FBI or something and he didn't know what to do. Later, we assured him that we were just servants of the Lord :) They reluctantly let us in, but after chatting for a bit and realizing that we were nice guys they warmed up to us. Janetta (the mom) told us a bit about her religious background and Sequoia (the 18-year-old son) stood off to the side and listened. We taught about the Book of Mormon and a little bit of the Restoration. Feeling prompted, I told them about the specific promises and blessings for the latter-day Lamanite people. They thought that was pretty neat. Overall, the lesson was one of the most perfect lessons I've ever taught. Man, there's no better feeling than teaching a first lesson that goes that smoothly and invites the Spirit so strongly. As we left, they agreed to read the Book of Mormon and to pray about it. We plan on seeing them again this week.

We were also able to tract into a guy named Zachary yesterday. Though he goes to Ignite Church (an exciting, new-age church with a preacher who used to be a DJ), he expressed his interest after we taught a little bit about the meaning of the Book of Mormon. He's a very open-minded person and he also agreed to read a pray. It was especially neat because we had Tucker (a priest in the ward getting ready for his mission after he graduates) bear his testimony and help us teach. Tucker is my pal :) He's totally ready to serve!

Other than that, we have a bunch of potential investigators from tracting and we've had some success in contacting part-member families. Bro. Everett is doing well and we're going to help him quit smoking this week. Erin and Ruben and the Coxes are really not progressing right now, but we're still teaching all of them and we're determined. I know the Lord will help us solve peoples' problems in our area.

Well, my time is up. I love you all and I hope you're having as great of a time as I am. Life is good! This Gospel is so true and I love it.

Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment