Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7, 2013 - Broken finger

Dear Family,

Yep, I broke my finger. I'm glad Sister Shumway called you and kept you updated. She's the best! So is Sis. Evenson, who sent you the picture of me. Rest be assured, I've been taken care of. And you're right Mom, it's going to be hard to right my email today. Sorry if it's a small email.

So here's the story. Last Monday we were playing basketball as a district at the church with a few YSAs. Nothing out of the norm, just having a little bit of fun. It wasn't even that competitive. And y'all know how much I love basketball. I was right in the thick of things playing my heart out. We had only played for about 15 minutes when it happened. Somebody passed the ball towards me. But right as I was about to catch it, somebody just barely deflected the ball. Instead of catching it, the ball slammed right into my pinkie. Instantly I grabbed my finger as the pain set in. It hurt pretty bad, but I had jammed fingers before playing the same sport. After a little bit of examination I thought that it could possibly be broken, but more likely just a really bad jam. I ran to the kitchen, grabbed some ice from the freezer, and was the ref the rest of the game. Surprisingly enough, after icing it for a while, it didn't really hurt that bad. I couldn't bend it, but I was certain that is was a bad jam. The first picture included is of my finger that night after coming home. Now that I look at it again, it was most definitely broken.

This is of my pinkie the night of basketball. Broken? yes

The next morning I woke up to even less pain. I could slightly bend the finger. It was New Years Day and I knew that a bunch of church members would be playing football at MSSU. I didn't want to miss out. It was right then that I decided to tape my pinkie to the ring finger, deal with a bit of pain, and play some football. What could go wrong? Big mistake. Although I was able to catch a couple of touchdowns, my downfall happened when I dived to bat the ball away while on defense. I landed on the ground, thus catching myself with both hands. Instantly I felt intense pain come from my finger. I ripped off my glove and saw how black and blue my hand was. It was then that I decided that it was probably broken. The rest of the day I iced my finger and Bro. Wilstead helped us pick out a splint at Walgreens to keep my finger straight. He called Sis. Shumway and asked if he could take x-rays at his Chiropractor clinic to make sure. She said no because she wanted me to wait until the next day to go to the Urgent Care. We visited people the rest of the day and taught a few lessons.

This is of my pinkie right after football. Worse.
 
Day 3: Lots of pain, but splint definitely helps. I was basically waiting for the word from Sis. Shumway to tell me what to do. Finally around noon Bro. Wilstead called me into his office to just get it x-ray'd anyway. As he was firing up the machine, he took a medical tuning fork of sorts, hit it on his knee to get it vibrating, and ran it along my finger. No pain. He said that if it was broken it would've hurt really bad. But he decided to take x-rays just to be sure. Good thing he did, because as he retrieved the x-ray from the printer he said, "Oh wow. It's definitely broken." He held it to the light and I looked. My finger was broken right through at an angle and it was displaced to the side. "No wonder it hurts!" Once again we spent the rest of the day teaching and went to district meeting in Pittsburg.

Day 4: Still in a splint, but after a bunch of phone calls, Bro. Wilstead and Sis. Shumway were able to get me an appointment at an orthopedic clinic out in Galena. The Lord continued to bless me as I was able to get in with a really good doctor who knew his stuff. Ever heard of Grant Wistrom? He was a famous NFL player for the St. Louis Rams who had his knee fixed by this doctor. Yes, I was in good hands :) And to make things better, Dad faxed our insurance info to the office right as I was signing in. Thanks, Dad. After more x-rays, it was decided that I would have to go into surgery to get a couple of screws to keep things in place. They scheduled an appointment for the next day at noon. We spent the rest of the day helping with food orders at the church and visiting people. Also did our weekly planning.



Day 5: I couldn't eat anything for 8 hours before surgery, so I was super hungry. I was also a little nervous because I'm not a huge fan of needles or of surgery. We went in at noon and I got undressed and dressed into a gown and a cap and slippers. Gosh, I looked like a goof! As I sat in the bed, I told Elder Richards to not laugh at me. Soon enough I had an IV in my hand and after a little longer they wheeled me into the surgery room. The next 2-3 hours went by in the blink of an eye and I woke up in the recovery room with a cast on my hand. A lady helped me get dressed (awkward) and then they wheeled me out to the car. We went home and the rest of the day I spent on the couch napping. That's when Sis. Evenson took a picture of me.

So, since then I've been drugged up on Hydro's and have been feeling great. I've been well enough to visit people too. Despite all that happened with my finger, we were still able to teach 9 lessons, pick up a new investigator named Charlie, set a date with Cameron, and I even bore my testimony in sacrament meeting. I have no idea what I said because of how drugged up I was, but Elder Richards reassured me that I didn't say anything too weird haha.

I hope y'all are doing well and that you don't get too cold. It's pretty chilly here, but bearable. Thanks for the great phone call on Christmas and for being the best family ever! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ and I love you. Wish me luck as I continue to work my hardest.

Love, Elder Atkin

No comments:

Post a Comment