Wednesday, January 23, 2013

January 21, 2013 - Transfer calls

Dear Family,

Mom, don't worry - I wasn't depressed because I didn't get your email. Sure I was a tiny bit bummed, but I knew that I might not get it on time with how early we went to the library. The reason why we were so early is because we had a zone outing at the stake center starting at 9:30. We played basketball (I was the ref due to certain injuries) and had a pot-luck lunch consisting of jambalaya, fried chicken (Elder Jones bought a deep-frier), pizza, salad, and baked beans. Yeah, we're a strange bunch :) Well, that and we're poor. So yeah, I'm fine. I knew that you'd be really sad that I missed it. It's okay!

So here's the news: I'm getting transferred. After all the good times here in Joplin for the better part of 9 months, I'm finally moving on to Willard, Missouri to be a zone leader with Elder Heindel. I just knew that it was coming, and yet it was still really sad when the call came. First of all, I was pacing back and forth and sweating bullets because it took the assistants longer than an hour to call us. Transfer calls start at 9:00 pm, but we didn't get the call until after 10. That may not make sense to you, but I was flipping out. There seems to be even more build-up to transfer calls these days because President Shumway moves missionaries in and out in a seemingly random way. Of course, it's the Lord mission and he moved his missionaries where he wants them. But there have been a lot of changes recently and many new areas are being opened. It's hard for anyone to get comfortable in an area these days.

My replacement is Elder Wheeler coming from Fayetteville, Arkansas. Interestingly enough, he was in April's MTC district and Elder Richards was in the neighboring MTC district. I'm pretty sure he has a crush on April or something, because he always mentions her when I see him in Tulsa at ZLC. Hopefully the members here like him. I'm really going to miss Elder Richards. Sure we were together only for 6 weeks, but I learned a lot from the guy. He's very humble, he works really hard, he's very obedient, and he loves to tract. When I really think about it, this transfer has been one of the most successful of my mission. Time flies when you're working hard and being obedient. What really hurts the most though is leaving behind all of the investigators/less-actives that we were working with. We found so many cool people from tracting that I won't even get to see be baptized! Both Cameron and Charlie are set to be baptized next month, with more getting close to setting dates for baptism. Oh well, I did my best. I can confidently say that I'm leaving the area better than I found it. And that feels good.

Another person that I'm really going to miss is Bro. Everett. We've slowly but surely become best friends with the 71-year-old Native American man. This week a miracle happened. As we were sitting there teaching about the Savior and his Atonement, Bro. Everett finally manned-up and admitted that his smoking was really holding him back. Sure, we've talked about it before, but he would get really uncomfortable and dance around the subject. I think he finally noticed how much he really could trust us and he flat out told us that it's preventing him from feeling the Spirit and receiving revelation. Cautiously, I suggested that he pick a date in the future to quit smoking. Bro. Everett then told us the story about the first time he quit smoking for his baptism and how one elder in particular told him to give him his cigarettes and then he crushed them. I then knew that we weren't being bold enough and I said, "Should we do that again? Is that what it will take?" Bro. Everett hesitated, then he slowly handed his last pack to Elder Richards, who then crushed them in his hand. Bro. Everett has been smoke-free for 4 days and is happier than ever. He tells us all the time that he loves us and that we saved his life. We, in turn, tell him that we love him too. I hope to go through the temple with Bro. Everett some day.

Gosh, we taught tons of lessons this week, but I hardly remember any of them as they all seem to just mesh together into one long spiritual experience. Mostly, I remember the good feelings through the Holy Ghost as we taught truth to people young and old. We did a lot of tracting and met wonderful people - many of whom went through the tornado. As I listened to their miracle stories, I felt such a sense of God's love for his children. He really does care! Even when people are very selfish and forget about love and respect, the Lord takes care of them. I know that Heavenly Father is just that - our loving, literal father in heaven.

Well, wish me luck in Willard. I hope and pray that I'll find those who are being prepared to meet me. I don't say that because I'm so amazing or all-powerful. But I want to bring about the Lord's work and be an instrument in his hands. It's truly satisfying. I'll do my best, I promise! Take care and don't freeze to death :) Talk to you soon.

Love, Elder Atkin

P.S. The good news: Elder Heindel rocks. I was his zone leader while he was in Parsons, Kansas and he was one of the best missionaries we had. He's super funny, easy to get along with, and he loves to work hard. You should see his shoes! The Lord continually blesses me when I don't deserve it. Tender mercies...

No comments:

Post a Comment