Monday, January 28, 2013

January 28, 2012 - Willard!

Dear Family,

A howdy and a holler from here in Willard, Missouri!!! Population here is 5,288, but it seems even smaller than that. Everybody knows everybody here, and everybody is related too. But interestingly enough, there's a strong enough church presence that there are 2 wards here. Of course, us and Willard 2nd cover other small towns around the area, including bits of Springfield, but either way it's cool to see such a great amount of Saints here in small-town Ozarks. I was rightfully a bit nervous to get transferred to a small town area in the mission because I've served in big cities so far (Springdale, greater Tulsa area, Joplin), but since coming here I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I love it here! We've met nothing but nice people so far and the ward is even friendlier.

Adding to the awesomeness is the fact that I'm serving with Elder Heindel. Like I said in my last email, I was Elder Heindel's zone leader in Joplin for a few transfers. Even better was the fact that I knew he was a hard worker and was fun to be around. Elder Heindel is from Palmer, Alaska and he has two other brothers. While I am a bit jealous of him being from such an awesome place, it's already getting old having to tell people that I'm from Utah - totally not as awesome as Alaska. Not that I think that. I love Utah! It's my home state! But every time we meet people they ooh and ahh at this mysterious man from the Alaskan frontier. Then I tell people where I'm from and they're like, "Really?! Another Utah guy??" Or, "Oh. That's cool." Or, "Wow. You're one of millions of lame missionaries they send us from the most boring place on God's green earth." Okay, so I was kidding about the last one, but you get the idea. Being a Utah elder is very un-cool and average. Don't worry, I'm only kind of exaggerating and I really do love Elder Heindel. We've already had a blast together in the last 4 days.

So life has been good since I've gotten here. Our apartment rocks. It's a section of a garage right next to and owned by some members named the Birds. Very nice older couple. The apartment is nicknamed the "Garage Mahal" because of how huge and nice it is. In all seriousness it is the nicest apartment I've been in on my mission. I feel like we're living in a hotel and I don't want to get anything dirty. Man, I could stay in here the rest of my mission :)

The work here in Willard 1st is going great. We have two investigators set to be baptized on the 16th of February all thanks to many previous missionaries who poked and prodded them until they finally knew that baptism was right. We're just lucky enough to be here for the baptisms. Both investigators have been searching this out for a few years. We have a bunch of other investigators and less-active or part member families to work with, so that will be good too. The only challenge is that we don't know much info about anybody. Elder Heindel and I just plan on calling or dropping by everyone and starting from the beginning. Elder Nordine and Elder Denton both (previous missionaries who I happened to have served with at one time or another) left a few notes on people, but that's about it. We're just praying that the Lord will lead and guide us as to where to go and who to see.

So that's about it for now, but I'll update you next week. I love you all! Have fun in the snow :)

Love, Elder Atkin

P.S. Here's a picture of me at transfer points with some of my favorite elders in the whole world. I miss them so much! It was ridiculously cold that morning too, if you can't tell.
P.P.S. I can't remember if I sent you my address or not, but here it is again:
8463 W Bird Ln.
Willard, MO 65781
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment