Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4, 2012 - Week 2 in Willard

Dear Family,

What an amazing week! Elder Heindel and I jumped up 10 lessons from our total last week and we picked up a couple of investigators. We've been tracting maniacs since we showed up. We still have Bro. McKinnon and Bro. White set for their date on the 16th with more investigators on the way to setting dates. It's been an absolute blast witnessing miracles happen in our area ever since we "shotgunned" in. Haha I was so excited about it that I just had to bear my testimony in sacrament meeting :) My heart is so full and I'm grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord. I know without a doubt that He has led us by the power of his Spirit day by day as we simply asked him for it. Elder Heindel and I make sure to kneel and pray often and go forward with faith. Of course, we are not perfect but Heavenly Father is merciful and blesses us continually.

One such example of the Lord directing us when we needed it happened this last week. We had another wide open evening and we had no idea where to go. After praying for guidance, Elder Heindel and I decided to stop by a bunch of names that the bishop had given us. It mostly consisted of less-actives. As we were traveling to visit the Langowskis - the first name we picked - I felt the prompting that we should invite the Flynns to come visit them with us. We knew that Bro. Flynn worked with Bro. Langowski and their families were good friends. Lucky enough, Bro. Flynn happily accepted as I called him and asked. So we drove on over with Bro. Flynn and his wife and knocked on the door. Bro. Langowski let us right in. We soon met Sis. Langowski and her son, daughter, and her daughter's boyfriend named Josh. They took us into their backyard and showed us their baby goats. They were so cute! We went back inside and sat down and just chatted for a bit. It was a little bit awkward because I could tell that they were bracing for a lesson. It's how all less-actives are. I didn't really know what we were going to say. After a long pause, the previously quiet Elder Heindel opened his scriptures and simply said, "Tonight we want to share a message about Joseph Smith and the Restoration." The lesson started off really slow at first. Everyone was really quiet. But soon enough the Spirit entered the room and we were able to testify boldly. It was a short, powerful lesson - just the way it should be. As we ended, Josh spoke up. "That makes sense," he said. We again testified of the truthfulness of our message and invited Josh to take the discussions from us. Soon everyone was joining in encouraging him to learn about the Gospel, including the Langowskis. The Flynns invited everyone to come over to their house the next week for pizza and to watch "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration." Josh accepted.

So, to make a long story short, we had a wonderful time at the Flynns and Josh loved the movie. He still has doubts and concerns, but he has great questions and wants to learn more. He came to church yesterday (along with most of our other investigators. Miracles!) and we're going to teach him later this week at the Langowskis. It all goes back to prayer. Elder Heindel and I were inspired to do specific things that resulted in a miracle. Once again, I'm grateful that the Lord led us that evening and that he continues to do so as we're obedient and work hard. I love it!

I wish I had more time to tell you about the countless other miracles and fun stories from the week (including the story of me saying a special prayer for a cat), but alas I have to go. We're traveling to Tulsa for ZLC today. Heavenly Father loves us! He wants us to have success in righteous endeavors! I know that he'll be there for Elder Heindel and I again this coming week. I look forward to more adventures :)

Love, Elder Atkin

P.S. Here's a picture of one of the most brilliant sunsets I've ever seen. Elder Heindel and I were in awe and we beheld the spectacular display that seemed to be painted by our Heavenly Father.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment